400 trees for every person

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Reactions: n3pro
Amen, Brother B. Unlike coal and fossil fuels, trees can actually be sustainable. Makes me wonder why they don't have black locust power plants. About the same energy density, and then darn things are everywhere. Guess the thorns are too much for the general populace to handle.

Amen, Brother B. Unlike coal and fossil fuels, trees can actually be sustainable. Makes me wonder why they don't have black locust power plants. About the same energy density, and then darn things are everywhere. Guess the thorns are too much for the general populace to handle.
Better read the whole thing again. They are seeing an annual net loss of trees largely attributable to human activities. You can read that as we are already not replanting enough trees for what we are cutting. Stepping up cutting under those circumstances would be grossly irresponsible.

Actually, this article makes me proud to be a scrounger. I only go after trees that are already down. In my area, downed trees are treated as garbage and simply taken to the dump--a horrible waste, in my opinion. But I live in Alabama, so I figure wood-derived heat is probably in greater demand up north.

As I understand it, burning wood is "carbon neutral" meaning that burning wood releases the same amount of hydrocarbons that would be released as a byproduct of rotting away naturally on the forest floor. But I can't speak to "sustainability" because I can imagine burning 400 trees in my lifetime!

I agree with BamaScrounger, whose point was, I think, that scroungers are high quality human beings who are saving the planet. All of the 10+ cords in my stacks from trees that were cut for some other reason besides firewood. Most is from powerline clearing, a few were dead in a neighbor's front yard, and some were cut because they were dropping needles in a pool, but it wasn't my pool. That means my heat is carbon neutral.

Reactions: Dix
I read a startling story. In the 1800s almost all the trees were cut down in new England for farms. Now there are many more trees.

In the fields around my house it was nearly tree free. Now it is teeming with trees. It is our duty to keep them in check or they will take over.

I read a startling story. In the 1800s almost all the trees were cut down in new England for farms. Now there are many more trees.

In the fields around my house it was nearly tree free. Now it is teeming with trees. It is our duty to keep them in check or they will take over.
Ya, soon these trees will learn to use computers and we all know where that leads to...

Status
Not open for further replies.