45º elbow offset

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Excuse me. The last time I checked that is what Canadian code said. I said I believe because honestly I don't check Canadian code often because I don't work in Canada and don't need to know it the way I do US code. But what I said is not an opinion it is based upon reading actual codes. I doubt they changed but can't say for sure because I don't have a copy of current Canadian code.
I'm curious about the US code for this issue. My pipe was installed by a licensed chimney pro and inspected by my town building inspector. None of them have an issue with the 45° offset (ICC Excell) used to get around my gutter, I even mentioned to my chimney pro that I didn't think it was legal. Job was permitted for a woodstove. Are there any situations that you are aware of where this would be allowed under our code? Many thanks for your time @bholler

I'm curious about the US code for this issue. My pipe was installed by a licensed chimney pro and inspected by my town building inspector. None of them have an issue with the 45° offset (ICC Excell) used to get around my gutter, I even mentioned to my chimney pro that I didn't think it was legal. Job was permitted for a woodstove. Are there any situations that you are aware of where this would be allowed under our code? Many thanks for your time @bholler
Are you sure it's a 45 and not a 30? 45s aren't even available for sale here.

Again just because something is permitted and passes inspection doesn't mean it meets code. Inspectors miss stuff all the time

Are you sure it's a 45 and not a 30? 45s aren't even available for sale here.

Again just because something is permitted and passes inspection doesn't mean it meets code. Inspectors miss stuff all the time
20211130_143130.jpg

I didn't think 45s would be sold here either @bholler , maybe people use them for oil flue?

My insurance company is aware that the pipe and stove have been installed by my pro and inspected by the town.

Is the only proper solution to take down and replace with 30° offset?

View attachment 286752

I didn't think 45s would be sold here either @bholler , maybe people use them for oil flue?

My insurance company is aware that the pipe and stove have been installed by my pro and inspected by the town.

Is the only proper solution to take down and replace with 30° offset?
That definitely looks like a 45. Yes the only way to fix it is by changing them out for 30s.

Reactions: Sailrmike
It sounds like the installer didn't read the fine print in Excel's catalog. The 45º elbows are only ULC (Canada) certified, not UL certified for US use.

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 3.05.32 PM.png

Reactions: Sailrmike
If I am.wrong I will gladly admit that. But I don't have the time currently to research it.
Understood. When I saw the poster was from Canada, thought it would be best to jump in. Again, no intent to offend.

At the same time, people take what they read here as gospel. If incorrect, that can take them down a rabbit hole where they may not want to go.

Forty-five degree insulated elbows ARE approved for use in Canada. Have been as long as I can remember.

While installation code does address single-wall flue pipe, rules for certified stovepipe and chimney are documented by each manufacturer. Here, most all manufacturers offer 45’s. Not approved in the US, but is in Canada.

Understood. When I saw the poster was from Canada, thought it would be best to jump in. Again, no intent to offend.

At the same time, people take what they read here as gospel. If incorrect, that can take them down a rabbit hole where they may not want to go.

Forty-five degree insulated elbows ARE approved for use in Canada. Have been as long as I can remember.

While installation code does address single-wall flue pipe, rules for certified stovepipe and chimney are documented by each manufacturer. Here, most all manufacturers offer 45’s. Not approved in the US, but is in Canada.
I know they are approved there. But are they approved for solid fuel chimneys that is my question. I know at one point they were not but as I said it may have changed.

I know they are approved there. But are they approved for solid fuel chimneys that is my question. I know at one point they were not but as I said it may have changed.
Yup. Good for solid-fuel too. Even so, I always say just because you can doesn’t mean you should— especially with exterior offset.

If you can achieve the required offset with a 15 do it. 30 is better than a 45. All comes down to flow resistance. We have no blower involved to push exhaust; only natural draft. And as you know, no draft - no fire.