4x4p.t. prices across different Home Depots

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mar13

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2018
California redwood coast
I've been waiting for 4x4 12 ' pressure treated posts to come down in price. In my NW corner of California, it's been about $35 at Home Depot, the same further down south near an interstate. $25 if I look online at Oregon 80 miles further up the road. And they are $25. Michigan and Boston, $15. Atlanta, under $14.

I imagine it may be fir vs plantation pine. Not sure what else is coming into play. I'm not sure where the pressure treated places.

Any insight?

I know the price at HD for 2x4s has dropped a lot for both PT and untreated.

I am down here in Dixie and all the pressure treated is Southern Yellow Pine. This wood is very strong and also has the characteristic of taking up the PT chemicals well. This tree grows all over Ga, South Carolina and North Carolina and many other southern states. And, I went to South Dakota to visit a friend and we built a fence for him. We went to Menards, a store which does not exist in Dixie, and the PT 4x4s we bought, were Southern Yellow Pine from South Carolina.
So, are different species used for pressure treating, somewhere in America?

I am down here in Dixie and all the pressure treated is Southern Yellow Pine. This wood is very strong and also has the characteristic of taking up the PT chemicals well. This tree grows all over Ga, South Carolina and North Carolina and many other southern states. And, I went to South Dakota to visit a friend and we built a fence for him. We went to Menards, a store which does not exist in Dixie, and the PT 4x4s we bought, were Southern Yellow Pine from South Carolina.
So, are different species used for pressure treating, somewhere in America?
The west coast Home Depots call it Hem-fir, where I suppose hem is hemlock. I guess you can put in different store sites on the HD website and explore where in the country the change from Hem-fir to pine occurs for HD. I'm confident the decision optimizes freight costs for HD.