.5 Degree Temperature Differential On Thermostat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Does anybody see any downside with using a +/- .5 degree F control setting on a thermostat, when using a storage tank that is heated by a boiler? I can't. The zone pumps turn on and off more, but so what? It would make for a more comfortable house and I can see that being an advantage of having a storage tank (although, for me, it's only a 119 gallon buffer tank).

It could lead to a awful lot of cycling. Can you actually feel a .5° temperature difference? :)
Most wall thermostats for radiant have a 2° differential.
Then heat emitters run 10- 20° differential for radiant, up to 40° delta T in panel rads.

These at two ECM zone circulating water pumps. No other equipment comes on as a result, until the buffer tank temperature gets below a certain level.

My wife can.

LOL, we all know how women's HVAC systems are screwed up at birth.

They can be warm one minute, cold the next.... all while the temperature stays the same.

Reactions: BoilerMan
Do what I did. I bought the fake thermostat that says 70 degrees all the time and put the Tekmar thermistor right behind it. I also hooked the burglary system window contacts to break the call for heat so if someone opens a window the heat shuts off.

"the heat won't work"
'then shut the windows"
"what, huh HOW DID YOU KNOW!!!"

I don't fight fair.

Do what I did. I bought the fake thermostat that says 70 degrees all the time and put the Tekmar thermistor right behind it. I also hooked the burglary system window contacts to break the call for heat so if someone opens a window the heat shuts off.
That's genius!

"the heat won't work"
'then shut the windows"
"what, huh HOW DID YOU KNOW!!!"

I don't fight fair.
The window contacts is pure genius! Wow!

TS

Does anybody see any downside with using a +/- .5 degree F control setting on a thermostat, when using a storage tank that is heated by a boiler?
I'd say if the pumps were cycling of for just a couple seconds a a time it could be bad for the motor an/or relay. If pumps run for at least something like forty-five seconds that would be a long enough of a cycle to be harmless to the pump.

I'd say if the pumps were cycling of for just a couple seconds a a time it could be bad for the motor an/or relay. If pumps run for at least something like forty-five seconds that would be a long enough of a cycle to be harmless to the pump.
I have it set at the minimum heat run time on the thermostat, which is a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.