5 ton electric splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I read here that some use this product so I goggled it and saw it was inexpensive. Can anyone recommended a few of the ones you like?

I used to operate a 21 ton gas splitter with a friend but no longer, so I am familiar with that product. I am trying to visualize how the 5 ton electric would compare (yes, I know a different ball park, but you know what I mean).

And how would it compare to splitting with a 12 lb maul? What is the math or physics trying to translate a 12 lb maul into tons? So I am kind of asking how the 5 ton electric splitter would compare to my 12lb maul?
Thanks

I have a gas splitter, electric splitter, and use an 8lbs maul. I’m fasted with the maul for nice splits until I wear out. The little electric is great for rounds under 12” and for making kindling. It is slow though and the one I have you have to push in the switch and pull the lever (safety two handed method.)

I like my 5 ton cheap $200.00 splitter from harbor freight. You do have to bend down rightn in front of it to hold the button with your right hand and the leaver with your left hand. Kind of scary with your face so close to splits popping out but it does a good job. Easier tham a maul.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I like my 5 ton cheap $200.00 splitter from harbor freight. You do have to bend down rightn in front of it to hold the button with your right hand and the leaver with your left hand. Kind of scary with your face so close to splits popping out but it does a good job. Easier tham a maul.
My hf electric splitter only requires one handed operation. Probably around 3 yrs old. Wonder if you have a newer model?

Slow but real handy. Particularly helpful for stringy stuff. Won't help much with the super hard stuff that requires wedges or a strong gas splitter.

Worth the $200, in my opinion, as a supplemental tool.

I love my 10 y/o Homelite. I burn about 5 cords/year and I'm staying 3 years ahead. It's held up great and never fails to start. Modified for 1 foot operation.

With the exception of black oak, everything where I live is soft wood (pine, fir and cedar). It doesn't like knotty wood and it probably wouldn't like the tougher eastern hardwoods. On really big rounds I may have to noodle a groove in the edge to start the wedge in.

I love my electric splitter. It goes as fast as I care to work.

If I hadn’t found a used one I would have bought this: WEN 56207 6.5-Ton Electric Log Splitter with Stand https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074H739NS/?tag=hearthamazon-20

Hard to beat $214 free shipping and free returns. The stand is probably nice as long as you don’t mind storing it like that.

That's a smokin' deal, especially with the stand. I'm wondering how stout the stand is, mine takes a beating. Being able to stand straight while splitting is a huge deal.