WoodEze 7-Ton Electric Log Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TrippRick

Mar 22, 2022
Central Mass / Poland ME
Anyone have any experience with a WoodEze 7-Ton Electric Log Splitter? Job Lot has a great deal on them.

I split occaisionally so don't need a gas unit but would like a backup for my Fiskars!

Thanks,
Rick

The one I see is like 500 bucks. thats half way too a regular gas splitter... a less expensive one... some also say its discontinued.. Id be leary..

Me personally.. Id go to HF for 300 bucks and get that electric splitter or get a low end gas splitter and have more splitting power and be able to split anywhere..

I know you stated that you mostly hand split.. were not getting any younger.. think towards the future..

I have an electric splitter that I think is 7 tons like you mentioned. I bought it quite a few years ago for a couple of hundred dollars at Amazon. I don't remember the name, but it was pretty generic looking. It works better than one might expect. I've split rounds bigger than a foot in diameter. However, on the more difficult splits you have to nibble around the edges if the entire round won't split. When that happens the clutch will stop the hydraulics and back up the ram. Then you have to turn off the splitter, wait a couple of seconds for everything to completely stop before turning it back on.

My splitter, like most of them, has two levers you have to hold down activate the ram as a safety precaution to keep you from getting your hand between the back of the log and the ram. I made a cross handle and attached it to the two levers so I could push them both down at once with one hand keeping my other hand free to balance the round on the splitter. I didn't see how I could crush my hand since there really isn't enough space between the back of the log and the ram to put your hand in between the two. My splitter can take 21" long rounds and I cut my rounds 20" long for my 24" firebox.

I have an electric splitter that I think is 7 tons like you mentioned. I bought it quite a few years ago for a couple of hundred dollars at Amazon. I don't remember the name, but it was pretty generic looking. It works better than one might expect. I've split rounds bigger than a foot in diameter. However, on the more difficult splits you have to nibble around the edges if the entire round won't split. When that happens the clutch will stop the hydraulics and back up the ram. Then you have to turn off the splitter, wait a couple of seconds for everything to completely stop before turning it back on.

My splitter, like most of them, has two levers you have to hold down activate the ram as a safety precaution to keep you from getting your hand between the back of the log and the ram. I made a cross handle and attached it to the two levers so I could push them both down at once with one hand keeping my other hand free to balance the round on the splitter. I didn't see how I could crush my hand since there really isn't enough space between the back of the log and the ram to put your hand in between the two. My splitter can take 21" long rounds and I cut my rounds 20" long for my 24" firebox.
Thanks for the feedbck guys. Decided not to pull the trigger on the splitter at this time.
Happy New Year!