$50 pellet stove, update see post #60

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Turn the auger by hand and see which way the flights push forward.

.03 amps is negligable, I wouldn't hesitate (provided they match up otherwise)

Chris, You can't turn the output shaft of the auger motors because they are gear driven. You have to turn the motor that spins the unit. Better yet just make a pigtail out of a lamp cord and plug it in. If it turns and seems quiet its probably good.

I have a hard time visualizing things...If I take a old lamp cord strip it down, then touch those wires to the augur pins and plug it in and it should spin, is that right?

Don't touch the wires, Use Feamle spade quick terminals to keep from getting zapped. But otherwise "yes" once plugged in it should spin.

ok, so the augur did spin when I direct powered it. Now, I wasn't even thinking about this, I have both the combustion and convection blowers off because I need to put new gasket on. Would those two being off not allow the augur to work?

Yes, Use the same cord to test them too! But I am betting because of all the ash build up the auger isn't working because the stove vent was plugged or vacuum line is plugged. One of the reason's I stated to do a full clean and tidy before you even started tinkering with it! Check the vacuum hose! No vacuum not auger worky.

Both blowers work fine hooked up on the stove, what I was saying is I have them disassembled so with them not screwed into their position, the augur won't turn on right...

chrisasst said:
Both blowers work fine hooked up on the stove, what I was saying is I have them disassembled so with them not screwed into their position, the augur won't turn on right...

Right, You need the combustion blower running on the stove to draw vacuum and close the vacuum switch for the auger to work. Or you could jump out the vac switch if you want to test the auger on the stove with controller.

Update,
got all the gaskets replaced, put both blowers back on, and low and behold, the augur does turn and it is quiet. The noisiest is the exhaust fan. So I believe all I have left to do is scrape the tubes clean, clean up the panels and paint them, get the burnpot clean, haul it outside and fire it up.

chrisasst said:
Update,
got all the gaskets replaced, put both blowers back on, and low and behold, the augur does turn and it is quiet. The noisiest is the exhaust fan. So I believe all I have left to do is scrape the tubes clean, clean up the panels and paint them, get the burnpot clean, haul it outside and fire it up.

Sounds good Chris. Can't wait to hear how it burns when you get it outside. Don't forget the burning pics too. :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.