$ 500 / 7 cord-- Log Load Eastern Connecticut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lakeside

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
Mike's World
Hardwood logs in need of a good home! We can't run logs with metal in them through our mill, so we periodically offer loads of "metal" logs for sale. These are 12"-36" diameter mixed hardwood logs that have some metal in them - you can use them for firewood (or saw them if you don't mind the metal). Available by the 7-cord truckload for $500, which includes delivery within 15 miles of Hull Forest Products, 101 Hampton Road, Pomfret Center, CT. Your delivery location must have tri-axle truck access. Call (860) 974-0127 x130 to schedule a load.
1619659349959.png

Reactions: PA Mountain Man
So divided among 7 cords, that would be what, roughly $71 a cord? I mean for a guaranteed load of hardwood, may not be the worst deal. Obviously you know you'll be putting in the work to get that wood split. Do you have any local tree services that do log drops? In my area, I have 4 companies that will come by and give me a load of logs from nearby tree jobs. The upside is that it's 100% free! The downside is you get everything and anything including pine. And the logs will likely have metal in them being yard trees. Cord wise, I have no clue how much I get per drop as it always seems to be a different sized truck that comes by. To me the risk of metal in the wood and getting pine is worth it. I use a metal detector on the logs before and after cutting to weed out metal infested pieces. And more than half the drops have been ash trees which is awesome. I would strongly recommend looking into tree places if that is an option :)

Do you have any local tree services that do log drops?

Maybe -- I have not asked. As I am anal about what firewood I want.

Sounds like you have a good method with the right tools including metal detector.

Lot's of Ash borer in my area , I see it as one I will be adding more of to my firewood stacks.

All the best to you with your firewood hunting!

Reactions: WoodBurnerInWI
I don't think I would spend any money on logs that had metal in them. Too much work, and potential for wrecking chains.

Tree forts, clothes lines, hunting blinds, target practice etc. Are just some of the reasons for metal in trees.

Reactions: JimBear
Why do these trees have metal in them?

Hull harvest there wood from forests . Yes there is some risk as some of these forests had homes many years ago. Just thought I would share. I realize my good intentions are what they are.

Generally speaking, most tree service trees run the high risk of metal in them, tree services are called for "yard trees" unless an undeveloped lot is being raised for development of some sort. I've gotten multiple log truck loads over the years and I'm more surprised when I get a full clean load rather then the latter of some sort of man made object in the wood. Its just the nature of the business when dealing with tree's that come from a populated area I guess.

Yep, nothing like finding a shelf bracket in a tree on the second cut with a new chain ☹️