55 bags left for the season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vinny11950

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2010
Eastern Long Island, NY
I counted last Saturday what I had in the shed (20), on a pallet next to the house (19), and indoors (16).

I figure this is more than enough to get me to April. Just in case, I went to Lowes to see what they have left and at what price, and they have plenty. Guy said about 2400 bags. HD also has lots of stock left. They haven't dropped the prices yet - $5.19 per bag. But with the warm up this week and next, I expect them to try to dump some soon. Already they are making room in the garden centers for the spring plants.

I too went and bought up extras to get me through to spring a few weeks ago .... and have seen several 70 degree days since and a good number in the 60s. Been a warm "late winter" here. Now I have enough to start next year.

Was in Lowe's a few days ago, they were loading up pellets to haul back off floor and bringing some "spring" stuff out in the area. Will have to check out the end of season prices at TSC & Farmer's Co-Op.

I too went and bought up extras to get me through to spring a few weeks ago .... and have seen several 70 degree days since and a good number in the 60s. Been a warm "late winter" here. Now I have enough to start next year.

Was in Lowe's a few days ago, they were loading up pellets to haul back off floor and bringing some "spring" stuff out in the area. Will have to check out the end of season prices at TSC & Farmer's Co-Op.

We can hope for price cuts soon!

Reactions: tbear853
I started with 55 bags, I am down to about 15. TSC up here has "McFeeters Premium" on for 4.97. I have never heard of these, I might have to try a few bags.

Well I broke down and bought 6 more bags while at Lowes. They only had one lonely stack out of patched bags.

Now I have 36 bags left. The cold of the last week used up all the savings from the earlier warm weather.

I have 19 bags indoor to ride out the snow storm that is coming tonight.

Reactions: tbear853
Bought them extra bags a while back ..... and then I had began to think I wouldn't need more pellets after all ..... but after near 3 weeks off, I cleaned and refired the stove a few days ago with this cold snap. If 7:30 o'clock is lowest and 4:30 o'clock is highest on knob, I had it about 9:30-10:00 o'clock last night and wife and I in loft above stove were about to roast and it was in the 20s outside. Had to back it down before going to bed as temp up here was 75-76 .... and that's with ceiling fan running on med above stove to keep some heat downstairs.

Reactions: vinny11950
Down to 8 bags left. The past week turned cooler, cloudy and rainy at times. At night the temps have been going down to the mid 40s. That coupled with cloudy days, doesn't give enough natural heat to warm up the house much (mostly cold feeling mid 60s). So the stove burns at night, on the lowest setting, burning about 1/2 a bag a day or less.

Put the last bag in this morning 4 tons done and done
no more burning when its gone If I need heat I will fire
up the oil furnace .

Put the last bag in this morning 4 tons done and done
no more burning when its gone If I need heat I will fire
up the oil furnace .

Wow. I usually get anxious when low on pellets - even now I think I should have bought more earlier in the season. Of course, I have electric heat instead of an oil furnace.

4 tons doesn't seem like much for your region. When do you stop heating?

I'm down to 7.5 tons on hand :(

Reactions: Orson_Yancey
Wow. I usually get anxious when low on pellets - even now I think I should have bought more earlier in the season. Of course, I have electric heat instead of an oil furnace.

4 tons doesn't seem like much for your region. When do you stop heating?

Pellets are for heating the rec. room no other heat source to that room
we normally heat till the middle of May . The rest of the house is on wood
furnace /oil combination . To warm to heat with wood house gets to hot
So for the first time in 20 years I am turning the oil on
Update just bought 25 more bags at 5.25 tax in good price around here
so stove back on oil OFF

Reactions: vinny11950