55 Rancher Oil port in bar plugging w sawdust.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deere10

Nov 5, 2009
Upstate N.Y
Anybody out there ever run into this problem before? I am running a 55 Rancher saw. About half way thru a tank of gas the oil hole in the bar becomes plugged with sawdust not allowing oil to get to the chain. I have tried a couple things.Removed bar and chain, Run saw at idle to make sure oil pump is working. Oil pours out at idle,not a lack of lube there. Next I opened up the holes in the bar a little(like my 455 Rancher has approx 3/16 hole) Still does not help. It acts like the drive teeth almost pulls dust into the top of the bar and packs the hole full not allowing oil to pass. I hope I am not the only person with this issue. Thanks in advance for any help..

I have a new rancher that I've run 3 tanks of gas through now. I had one chain seize in the process, immediate cause was some combination of lack of oil and a bunch of sawdust either in the bar groove or packed between the chain and the bar. I loosened the chain to free it up and then retightened, but did nothing else to clean the bar. The oil pump seems to be running fine and the problem did not recur. (Yet.) That said, the only time the chain on my 359 has ever seized was in below-freezing temps.

You could try setting the oil pump to max (usually set to medium), that might give a little more margin for error. Especially for 20"+ bars.

This is an older model 55 Rancher that doesnt have the oil adjuster screw.My 455 does and that is set on max oil. Tried having chain snug or loose doesnt matter. Local dealer told me it was the type of wood.(as I mumbled under my breath certain saw for certain wood) I am not buying that reason. The 455 doesnt care what kinda wood it eats thru. You said that your 455 chain siezd? Are you running the roller nose bar? I was told by the same dealer that the nose will not need to be greased,the oil will lube it plenty. When doing so it would sieze quite often. So went to plan b put a point type grease end on small grease gun and lube every fill up. MUCH less problems w siezeure of chain.. This lube problem may come down to a new bar and chain to try that.. Almost done with bucking wood for 2011 - 2012 season will post pics soon of before n after..

DiscoInferno said:
...cause was some combination of lack of oil and a bunch of sawdust either in the bar groove or packed between the chain and the bar...
Therein lies your problem. Your saw is making sawdust. It's supposed to be throwing chips. Cutting style has a lot to do with it too. Make sure the chips can exit under the clutch cover. Don't run the saw flat on the ground where the chips pile up under the cover and get carried back around. If/when noodling, take extra care to not let the noodles build up under the clutch cover.

I guess by "sawdust" I didn't mean to indicate the particle size. Chain was plenty sharp (brand new, in fact) and was throwing chips. I was off the ground, but was bucking nose buried or close to it. With noodling I know to back out now and again to clear things out, but with the 359 at least I never have to do the same bucking. Might have just been a fluke.

Oh, and I am running a sprocket-nose bar, but the sprocket itself didn't seize.

DiscoInferno said:
I guess by "sawdust" I didn't mean to indicate the particle size. Chain was plenty sharp (brand new, in fact) and was throwing chips. I was off the ground, but was bucking nose buried or close to it. With noodling I know to back out now and again to clear things out, but with the 359 at least I never have to do the same bucking. Might have just been a fluke.

Oh, and I am running a sprocket-nose bar, but the sprocket itself didn't seize.

lots of things can happen with the nose buried is this the only time it happens?

Only run 3 tanks on this saw, and it's only happened once, so hard to say. It might never happen again.

DiscoInferno said:
Only run 3 tanks on this saw, and it's only happened once, so hard to say. It might never happen again.

my saws will come to a stop if the nose isnt clear and it will clog up everything even stoping the chain dead. Thats kinda the way chaps work as well....If you do it again just look at what going on at that time...should only be 2 things that will make that happen and thats the nose and post #4

Sounds like you need to clean your bar more offend. Also check your rackers height.

70marlin said:
Sounds like you need to clean your bar more offend. Also check your rackers height.

brand new saw with 3 tanks of fuel through it.

Perhaps he meant the OP?

DiscoInferno said:
Perhaps he meant the OP?

lol I got your post confuse with the op sorry post #7

Deere10 said:
I am running a 55 Rancher saw. About half way thru a tank of gas the oil hole in the bar becomes plugged with sawdust not allowing oil to get to the chain. I
I stand by cleaning bar. Clean the bar, don't forget the slot also sharpen the chain if your making dust the chain could be dull. reassemble saw then run at high speed next to a log and see if it throws bar lube?

70marlin said:
Deere10 said:
I am running a 55 Rancher saw. About half way thru a tank of gas the oil hole in the bar becomes plugged with sawdust not allowing oil to get to the chain. I
I stand by cleaning bar. Clean the bar, don't forget the slot also sharpen the chain if your making dust the chain could be dull. reassemble saw then run at high speed next to a log and see if it throws bar lube?

yep sorry about that! I was looking at post # 7 cleaning and sharpening chains is a must.

smokinjay said:
70marlin said:
Deere10 said:

yep sorry about that! I was looking at post # 7 cleaning and sharpening chains is a must.

Sawrite :cheese: My first saw was a 55 she never was a very good lubber any way. For many years she had a 20" with 3/8? .050 stock safety chain on it. Just this year I put a 16" .325 x .050 bar and semi chisel chain on it just for kicks. She cuts a lot faster now, when I use her. The 372 is my main saw now.

Had my chain lock up for the first time today on the 359. Brand new bar and chain. 20" deep in a 28" buck.. cleared it and was careful about clearing it better in the cut and it didn't happen again. And started doing a better job of switching sides to keep the cut even across the log. Have a couple more large trees to buck, was probably good to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.