Rancher 455 question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kubic40

Jan 20, 2019
Ohio
I have a rancher 455 24inch bar. For two years I've been running 25:1 high grade 2 stroke oil(Castrol 927) same as I use in my 1/5 scale RC cars that rev to 20k rpms and 2 stroke dirtbikes.

Will I see any real difference with 50:1? Ive had zero issues with the saw and the plug was two years old also and never fouled. Honestly I think it runs great but I've recently bought a owd and will be using a hole heck of alot more than previous years.

May sound like a dumb question but it would just save room/time/money to not mix 50:1 if there's no real advantage.

Me.. personally, I'd run the 50.1 im not one to spend hundreds on a saw and run the wrong stuff through it. I keep my saws forever. I'm always trying to add and upgrade.. not fix and replace
I'm with you on that, i treasure my saws

How's the 24" bar working out for you? Local Husky guy said he wouldn't recommend going that large on my 455, and suggested a 20"

How's the 24" bar working out for you? Local Husky guy said he wouldn't recommend going that large on my 455, and suggested a 20"

The 455 has 3.49 hp.. 24 inches is to big and the saw will struggle. You could do the 20 inch bar and that will be the biggest i would put on it.

There are two factors at play:

1. What the oiler can support. This is the max bar size listed in your manual.

2. What the saw can pull with reasonable speed and pressure. Opinions vary a lot on this point.

I like to cut fast, and hate when my saws bog, so my rule is:

35cc up to 12”
50cc up to 16”
60cc up to 18”
75cc up to 24”
85cc up to 28”
95cc up to 32”
135cc whatever you want... they’re usually sprocketed lower, anyway.

Reactions: TreePointer
I have the 465 with a 24" bar. I will be going to a 20" this year. It's a great saw but just doesn't have the power to pull that large bar through dry wood.

You are running your dirt scooters at 25:1? Brave. What bikes? Is the plug a nice coffee color on the ceramic? If the electrode is looking whitish than I would say you are running too lean and hot. Just remember rich is rich and lean is expensive.

The 455 has 3.49 hp.. 24 inches is to big and the saw will struggle. You could do the 20 inch bar and that will be the biggest i would put on it.

Thanks - That's what the local guy said as well - the 18" has been working out so far - I do have a couple of bigger pieces - I may just wait until i get around buying a 20" bar to get to those. I have plenty of other stuff that needs cutting/splitting.

Thanks - That's what the local guy said as well - the 18" has been working out so far - I do have a couple of bigger pieces - I may just wait until i get around buying a 20" bar to get to those. I have plenty of other stuff that needs cutting/splitting.

Glad to be a help.. keep us posted and show a pic or 2

I have a rancher 455 24inch bar. For two years I've been running 25:1 high grade 2 stroke oil(Castrol 927) same as I use in my 1/5 scale RC cars that rev to 20k rpms and 2 stroke dirtbikes.

Will I see any real difference with 50:1? Ive had zero issues with the saw and the plug was two years old also and never fouled. Honestly I think it runs great but I've recently bought a owd and will be using a hole heck of alot more than previous years.

May sound like a dumb question but it would just save room/time/money to not mix 50:1 if there's no real advantage.
I would never run 50:1!
It's a mixture designed for passing EPA regulations. 32:1 for all my 2 stroke engines.Oil is cheap,parts and labor are expensive even if you repair your own stuff.So far i have had zero saw failure issues.

An 18” bar will work fine for stuff up to about 34” diameter, which covers what most firewood cutters encounter. Big saws and big bars are fun, but you can probably get by with 18”, in all but a few cases.

I would never run 50:1!
It's a mixture designed for passing EPA regulations. 32:1 for all my 2 stroke engines.Oil is cheap,parts and labor are expensive even if you repair your own stuff.So far i have had zero saw failure issues.

I buy the pre-measured Stihl or Echo mix, and I believe they’re both measured for 50:1. Between the size of my yard and the amount of wood I’m burning, I burn more 2-stroke than any other five average wood burners, and I’ve had no issue burning tens of gallons per year of 50:1.

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
I just reread my previous comment and realized it is kind of dumb. 25:1 is a lot of oil. It’s nowhere near lean. I also use the stihl 1gallon mixers for all my saws and whips. I haven’t rode a two smoker since 08 when I bought my thumper so I’m having a hard time remembering what I use to mix at. I think 32:1 or 40:1.

Reactions: Ashful
No biggie. Heck, I had one very old 2-stroke saw marked for 16:1, so I didn't think you were crazy. The issues with running those mixes in modern equipment seems to be plug fouling, I guess they're all designed for the newer and leaner mixes.

But I've never had a 2-stroke die from my mix being too lean. I always break some other critical part of the machine first. Whether it be cars, trucks, or OPE, engines seem to last me much longer than the thing to which they are attached.