6.5 cords of un-split wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trailblaze

Aug 20, 2008
South West PA
found a supply of 6.5 cords of un-split wood for 700 bucks. how much would this yield once split? maybe 9 cords?? or doesn't it matter

Well - bearing in mind, it is the same wood either way - the general consensus is wood tends to 'expand' a bit when split, (ie a cord of stacked rounds may be 1.25 cord of split wood) but then it contracts a little when it dries (you may loose 6-10% of the height of the pile, and a couple percent of the width).

Some additional discussion:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/30917/

Probably around 6.5 cords, or maybe even a little less.

Sellers typically over estimate their loads slightly and there's usually some excess air space between the logs in larger loads. So while the wood tends to 'grow' when split, I wouldn't be surprised if you only got about 6.5 cords out of this when split. A lot of it depends on how tight you stack the split wood.

The price sounds good but... You did not say what type of wood this is. It could be worth $700 for sure, but it also could be worth $300 or even $1200. So, it all depends.

I say figure is is exactly 6.5 cords. If it ends up being more, then you have a bargain. If less, well, perhaps you should have measured the pile.

It depends on whether it is long logs or bucked up. With long logs it depends on how crooked they are. On a 12 cord load of 8 foot logs, I usually get about 13 cord once it's cut and split but before it shrinks.

I my experience in paying for unsplit rounds, I always ended up with a little less than advertised, but for that price if your within a half cord or so it's still a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.