# of Firewood Pieces in Cord?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

qwee

Feeling the Heat
Jan 17, 2013
Idaho
Internet says, "A full cord of wood typically contains 600-800 pieces of split firewood, which translates into 200-275 pieces in a face cord...."

I'm a part-time seller, and I'm tired of stacking wood into my trailer and measuring. I would rather just throw it in loosely (time saver). Anybody ever counted? Does 700 chunks of wood sound about right?

Anyone have a face cord (1/3 cord) they can count with a picture (to see the size of your pieces). After that just multiply the # by 3 for a cord.

Last edited:
Internet says, "A full cord of wood typically contains 600-800 pieces of split firewood, which translates into 200-275 pieces in a face cord...."

I'm a part-time seller, and I'm tired of stacking wood into my trailer and measuring. I would rather just throw it in loosely (time saver). Anybody ever counted? Does 700 chunks of wood sound about right?

Anyone have a face cord (1/3 cord) they can count with a picture (to see the size of your pieces). After that just multiply the # by 3 for a cord.
There is absolutely no way to answer that. A cord is a measurement of volume not number of pieces. And a face cord isn't a true measurement at all

Reactions: TreePointer
The average size of one piece of firewood in a cord exists. Therefore, for that particular cord of firewood there must be an approximate number of pieces of wood in that cord. Everyone splits pieces to different sizes and shapes - I'm just looking for a rough estimate.

If I wasn't feeling lazy, I would count and stack it in my trailer - then measure until I had a cord.

Or: throw it in 180 cubic foot and that's a "thrown cord":

Presumably if you take 180 cu ft volume of thrown wood, and stack it, you get about 128 cu ft stacked (i.e. a proper cord).

Edit: I think just throwing it in to fill a 180 cu ft volume is more useful than the number of splits because of the size difference in the thickness of the splits.

Edit 2: I knew Maine has an official "thrown cord" measure. And I found it now:

Thanks stoveliker

So, 180 sq ft. loose wood for a cord. My trailer 12.5' x 6.5' x Y = 180 ft3. So Y = 2.2 ' or 2 feet 2.4 inches to make one cord. So if I load loose 3.5' high (typical), I'll have 204 ft3 = ~ 1.6 cords. Now I know.

According to Maine 16" is on upper end for 180 ft3 loose wood, so I'll go with 185 ft3 loose wood just to be safe. So, Y = 2 feet 3.24 inches for a cord in my trailer. And if I fill it an average height of 3.5 feet I will have about 1.5 cords. Now I know. My trailer stacking days are over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dajolu
Yup. Approximately.
And legal in Maine. I don't know how Idahoans (?) look at this.
If I were you I'd save the Maine.gov url to show to customers if they have concerns.

No matter what reasoning your using.. if your trying to be a seller of wood and a reputable one at that.. cords go by volume only.. counting pieces with a give or take of 200 is completely ridiculous..