6'' DuraBlack Telescoping Black Stove Pipe, Single-Wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XmasTreefarmer

Feeling the Heat
Nov 5, 2017
Wisconsin
Started shopping for pipe to install my stove in a few weeks. I'll be going straight up from the stove, into a 90 degree elbow and then into my masonry chimney. Was planning on purchasing on-line, but then found a local store that carries the DuraBlack Telescoping Pipe and headed over to check it out. I'm unfamiliar with this new generation pipe, having done my last install almost 30 years ago with the cut-to-fit, snap-lock style pipe.

As I was heading into town I was thinking, "I wonder why it doesn't get all scratched up as you telescope it?" When I took it out of the box at the store and then slid the one section into the other, I was surprised at how loose the fit was - that explained why it didn't seem to get scratched. But I was surprised by how large the gap was between two sections. I did not like the size of that gap - I have much tighter joints on my current setup.

Have looked at other brands of pipe on-line: Champion (which seems to be the same as Rock-Vent, Heat-Fab, and others) Thinking of going with one of those brands, but will have to order it sight unseen. Any recommendations would be welcome!

Jan - Thank you for that info. Good to know that the Champion has a good fit. If the double wall is like that, hopefully the single-wall is as good. Makes me feel better about ordering it.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Started shopping for pipe to install my stove in a few weeks. I'll be going straight up from the stove, into a 90 degree elbow and then into my masonry chimney. Was planning on purchasing on-line, but then found a local store that carries the DuraBlack Telescoping Pipe and headed over to check it out. I'm unfamiliar with this new generation pipe, having done my last install almost 30 years ago with the cut-to-fit, snap-lock style pipe.

As I was heading into town I was thinking, "I wonder why it doesn't get all scratched up as you telescope it?" When I took it out of the box at the store and then slid the one section into the other, I was surprised at how loose the fit was - that explained why it didn't seem to get scratched. But I was surprised by how large the gap was between two sections. I did not like the size of that gap - I have much tighter joints on my current setup.

Have looked at other brands of pipe on-line: Champion (which seems to be the same as Rock-Vent, Heat-Fab, and others) Thinking of going with one of those brands, but will have to order it sight unseen. Any recommendations would be welcome!
Champion is ventis pipe from olympia chimney. That is what we use and it is tight. But it does scratch when you telescope.

Champion is ventis pipe from olympia chimney. That is what we use and it is tight. But it does scratch when you telescope.

Thanks bholler! I'd rather go with some scratches than the sloppy fit I saw with the DuraBlack telescoping pipe and I like getting a recommendation from a professional installer! I've been leaning towards the Champion pipe being 22 gauge vs the 24 gauge of the DuraBlack. I'm sure the DuraBlack is fine pipe - I'm just sort of fussy about the things in my house and I tend to over-build the things I do. I like things done "right" and I don't like to do things over - do 'em right the first time if you can.

Just looked at the Stove Bright colors and I see there is a Flat Black and a Satin Black - I'm guessing that the Satin Black would be the best match to touch up any scratches? And can I get away with just hitting the area by the slip joint, or should I hit the whole pipe to get the best job?

i had a metalfab one that was very tight....

i had a metalfab one that was very tight....

Thanks Dobish - I'll be checking out that and the Ventis/Champion and then I'll ace my order.

I did the durablack and mine was an extremely tight fit and does leave scratch marks where it slides. I believe I read on line where it is common to have to pain the parts after install. I sealed all my joints with the the caulk made for stove pipe, not because there was gaps but I am overly paranoid. Guess I got lucking with my slip joint, ordered online from home depot. If it had a gap or was lose like you saw I would have returned it.

I did the durablack and mine was an extremely tight fit and does leave scratch marks where it slides. I believe I read on line where it is common to have to pain the parts after install. I sealed all my joints with the the caulk made for stove pipe, not because there was gaps but I am overly paranoid. Guess I got lucking with my slip joint, ordered online from home depot. If it had a gap or was lose like you saw I would have returned it.

Thanks CJ! How interesting that the one I looked at was so loose and yours was tight. You just wouldn't think that their tolerances would be off that much. The piple I looked at had such a size different between the "inside" pipe and the "outside" pipe that you would have really had to work to scratch anything adjusting it. The down side of that was of course a really large gap when the pipes meet that I just didn't like. The store that I was looking at had two of the DuraBlack telescoping pipes - I just opened one of the boxes to look. I never thought to open the other box ... this is important enough to me to head back to that store - only 30 minutes away - and check out the other one.

So far it seems like people are pleased with their DuraBlack pipe and also with the Ventis/Champion line - like so many things I do, I'm probably making this a bigger deal than I need to! _g Thanks again for your help.

I have always applied a thin layer of Vaseline to my telescopic pipes when installing or cleaning. I wipe the visible stuff off afterwards and the residue in the joint burns off. After all it is a petroleum product and my pipes stay scratch free...

I have always applied a thin layer of Vaseline to my telescopic pipes when installing or cleaning. I wipe the visible stuff off afterwards and the residue in the joint burns off. After all it is a petroleum product and my pipes stay scratch free...

Happy Stacker - That's a genius idea! So much easier than having to touch-up any scratched areas with paint and then have to burn that new paint in. I'm certainly going to do this when I do my install and then anytime I'm cleaning the pipe! Thank you.

Thanks to everyone that responded. I went with the Ventis pipe from Olympia Chimney. This is sold under several other names that I found by doing some sleuthing. I ordered "Champion" pipe and it's also sold as Rock-Vent, Heat-Fab, and others. I'm sure it will work just great.

My installation is pretty simple - I go up from the stove with a section of telescoping pipe, into a fixed 90 degree elbow, into a 6" to 8" increaser, which connects to a male end of 8" stainless that is embedded in the masonry chimney. All 3 parts are Champion, so should color match and that brand of pipe is said to be "Fume-Free" - but I'll be ventilated anyway as the Blue-Black Enamel cures during the break-in fires.

Stove should be here next week, but I'll be waiting for the weather to moderate before I take out the trusty old VC Defiant aka "Smoke Dragon" and install the Oslo 500. I want to be able to have the house partly open with a fan exhausting out a window when I do the break-in fires. Not going to do that when it's below zero or in the teens as it's been here in WI the last week or so. That's when you should have the windows and doors closed and let the old Defiant just chug along and enjoy the heat. :)

I know this
Thanks to everyone that responded. I went with the Ventis pipe from Olympia Chimney. This is sold under several other names that I found by doing some sleuthing. I ordered "Champion" pipe and it's also sold as Rock-Vent, Heat-Fab, and others. I'm sure it will work just great.

My installation is pretty simple - I go up from the stove with a section of telescoping pipe, into a fixed 90 degree elbow, into a 6" to 8" increaser, which connects to a male end of 8" stainless that is embedded in the masonry chimney. All 3 parts are Champion, so should color match and that brand of pipe is said to be "Fume-Free" - but I'll be ventilated anyway as the Blue-Black Enamel cures during the break-in fires.

Stove should be here next week, but I'll be waiting for the weather to moderate before I take out the trusty old VC Defiant aka "Smoke Dragon" and install the Oslo 500. I want to be able to have the house partly open with a fan exhausting out a window when I do the break-in fires. Not going to do that when it's below zero or in the teens as it's been here in WI the last week or so. That's when you should have the windows and doors closed and let the old Defiant just chug along and enjoy the heat. :)

I know this is REALLY old, but are you basically saying that "Rock-Vent" is "Ventis"?

Status
Not open for further replies.