6 loads in 4 weeks (lots of pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

blacktail

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2011
Western WA
Since March 20th I've brought home 6 loads. Half of today's load is already split and put up. The rest of it will probably fill the last of my storage areas. But I am still burning, so more room is opening up daily.
It's all a standard mix of PNW woods.
This, combined with all the alder and fir I cut last summer and fall, makes for a good supply for next year.

20170320_130528.jpg

20170327_144827.jpg

20170403_163428.jpg

20170403_111646.jpg

20170406_200558.jpg

20170404_164601.jpg

20170403_151930.jpg

20170404_164440.jpg

20170411_123151.jpg

20170417_155408.jpg

Schweet!

Nice country, out there!

T-100? Is that a 1/2 ton? My Tacoma maxes out quick. I fit rounds about 18" tall vertically about 2/3 of the long bed before my scale summed the load to 1100lbs. Hopefully getting something with a better payload this summer...

You'll never haul much wood in a pickup. The OPs 6 loads is less than a single load for me, on my tandem axle trailer.

If you're going to be heating with wood, and not just burning for fun, invest in a bigger trailer before a bigger truck.

You'll never haul much wood in a pickup. The OPs 6 loads is less than a single load for me, on my tandem axle trailer.

If you're going to be heating with wood, and not just burning for fun, invest in a bigger trailer before a bigger truck.
Even if I had the equipment for it, I have no interest in cutting 3 cords in one day.

Even if I had the equipment for it, I have no interest in cutting 3 cords in one day.
I wasn't intending to criticize your rig, in any way. I was just answering to ValleyCottageSplitter's desire for a heavier pickup. A T100 won't even safely haul 1/4 of a cord of oak very far, which has a green weight near 5500 lb./cord, but it can easily pull a 7000 lb. tandem-axle trailer loaded with a full cord of oak!

Since March 20th I've brought home 6 loads. Half of today's load is already split and put up. The rest of it will probably fill the last of my storage areas. But I am still burning, so more room is opening up daily.
It's all a standard mix of PNW woods.
This, combined with all the alder and fir I cut last summer and fall, makes for a good supply for next year.

View attachment 197029
View attachment 197030
View attachment 197031
View attachment 197037
View attachment 197032
View attachment 197033
View attachment 197034
View attachment 197035
View attachment 197036
View attachment 197038
Beautiful pictures and beautiful country,great job I see you're using good equipment to achieve your goals,Stihl,Toyota,what are you carrying to protect yourself from Sasquatch?Just curious.Again very enjoyable to see one enjoying themselves and the land.

Beautiful pictures and beautiful country,great job I see you're using good equipment to achieve your goals,Stihl,Toyota,what are you carrying to protect yourself from Sasquatch?Just curious.Again very enjoyable to see one enjoying themselves and the land.
I wasn't intending to criticize your rig, in any way. I was just answering to ValleyCottageSplitter's desire for a heavier pickup. A T100 won't even safely haul 1/4 of a cord of oak very far, which has a green weight near 5500 lb./cord, but it can easily pull a 7000 lb. tandem-axle trailer loaded with a full cord of oak!

Funny thing I hauled 2700# on a Tacoma,only modification was an extra leaf on the rear and a super heavy duty shocks all around,never had a problem.
Now this was an exception it wasn't always hickory I loaded.My avatar is loaded with over a ton of locust.Exceptions to everything,although I will push the limits often.

I do the tail gate test on my 2500, open tail gate should lay flat just above my belly button, load truck until tail gate is upper thigh.

Funny thing I hauled 2700# on a Tacoma,only modification was an extra leaf on the rear and a super heavy duty shocks all around,never had a problem.
Now this was an exception it wasn't always hickory I loaded.My avatar is loaded with over a ton of locust.Exceptions to everything,although I will push the limits often.
Yep. There's also liability to consider. Become involved in an accident with overloaded truck, deal with a lawsuit, and you may wish you split the load into two trips. Sometimes it doesn't matter if you feel the truck can safely handle the load, if it's not stickered as such. I haven't seen any Tacomas with Class 2 stickers on them.

I always have something along for protection.
IMG_20170403_171828_885.jpg

Nice work! Digging the rig also.

Not a bad way to spend the day, nice job!

Great score, great pictures! That one of the mountain in the back with the stream down below is gorgeous.......