6" Pipe not running all the way to the top of the chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emichnovez

Hearth Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
Eastern MA
I have a Napoleon 1402 insert in a pre-existing fireplace. Had it installed Fall of 2008 by a professional installer along with a 6" SS liner from the stove to what I thought was out the chimney. I had it cleaned last year by the same outfit, so I never had an opportunity to check out the roof end of things. This year, I decided to clean it myself, and went to the top of the chimney to inspect it before getting started. I was surprised to see that the 6" liner does not come all the way to the top of the chimney. Looking at it through the wire mesh of the cap, I could see the Clay liner, but no 6" SS liner!! I could see probably 10" down or so. It is precarious up there, so I didn't risk removing the cap to see better.

My question is - is this normal? I expected the SS liner to protrude from the clay liner a slight amount. If not, should I call the installer to see what he can do?

You have a direct connect installation which means the stainless liner goes up to the first flue tile. They aren't the best way to go and sometimes aren't up to code because of the size difference in the fireplace flue and wood stove collar. Hopefully your installer did the calculation. They are also a pain in the rear to clean properly. I charge more for them because they basically require uninstallation of the entire thing to clean properly (in my mind.)

Now, the next part of that is did you ask for and pay for a full length liner and they shorted you?

Hope this helps.

I was under the A$$umption that a liner was from the stove/tee/old fire box to at-least the crown/top of the chimney, then the cap was installed on the liner, above the plate.

If I was in you shoes, I would get a sweep to confirm my suspicion - in writing - that the liner does not go all the way up-and-out.

cmonSTART said:
Now, the next part of that is did you ask for and pay for a full length liner and they shorted you?

When I called in the installer, I told him I wanted a 6" SS liner from the stove out the chimney, as recommended here and by the stove manufacturer. He agreed, but what he wrote in the contract was "EST SS liner. WS INST" and "Install stove with 25 FT S/S liner". Anyone know what WS INST means? I assumed "Install stove with 25 FT S/S liner" meant the 25 feet would go out the chimney, but I am starting to suspect that he installed the 25 feet of it, it didn't go all the way to the top, and just left it. SS liners don't happen to come in 25 foot standard lengths, do they? I am not sure exactly how long the chimney is, but I am starting to suspect that it is about 26 feet long, and the liner is about a foot down from the top of the chimney. It will take me a couple of weeks to get back up there to measure. Next time, I will spend a little more time up there and get a picture down the chimney to show if the liner is right there or not.

If the liner is about a foot below the top, is that a problem?

Ok, really need some help here. I went to the top of the chimney today. I measured the top of the chimney to top of the stove with a weighted string - almost exactly 25 feet, give or take a few inches. I took some photos (one attached) and I was surprised to see that the 6" liner was about 5 feet below the top of the chimney. Although I probably have a pretty good case to go back to the installer and plead my case (his contract says he would install 25 feet of 6" liner; it appears like there are only about 20 feet installed), I wanted to get some feedback from the group - is this unusual? I noticed inside the 6" liner is pretty clean, but the unlined portion of the chimney seem to have a dense glaze type build-up. I hired the same outfit to clean the chimney last year. They seemed to do it just fine - but how would they get a 6" brush down the chimney from way up at the top? It seems like properly cleaning this would be a nightmare, hence the glaze build-up.

Attachments

• IMG_0474 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0474 (Large).jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 215
If it were me, I would take that picture, and my contract back to the stove shop/installer, and DEMAND that it be redone correctly, as per the contract. Especially if it is around 25' to the top of the chimney as you said. Even if it was 30' I would expect them to tell you that a 25' liner would be short, and would be willing to pay for the longer liner.

My guess is they had a 20' liner lying around, and used it. Figuring you would never go up and look.

That is crazy. I'd absolutely be back at the shop w/ that picture and your contract.

That's unbelievable.

pen

that is completely half assed. cleaning it will be a nightmare . what holds it up there is it just jammed?

You got shafted bro. I'd raise holy hell!
That is a slammer install aka direct connect.
To truly clean it correctly, you will have to pull the insert each & every time. Otherwise the crap cleaned off the tile liner is going to fall around the sides of the stainless liner and all along the smoke shelf and on top of the block off plate. Thats a royal snake job/ fu install. You paid for a full install, he owes you a full install!

I guarantee if he relines it to the top, he is going to try and attach from that liner up to the top with another section of liner and a coupler holding the two together. I would not accept that, and insist on a full one pc liner from top to stove.

I don't know what holds it up there. It looks jammed. I have no clue how they installed it, must have been from the bottom?

In my contract, he wrote, “EST SS liner. WS INST”. Anyone know that that means? I got "Estimate Stainless Steel liner", but I can't figure out what "WS INST" means. Can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.