6" single wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JRDAX1

Dec 7, 2022
Flagstaff, AZ
Hello. I am replacing a very old wood stove in my small (900sq') home. I'm considering purchasing a Regency F1150 Wood Stove. My question has to do with stove pipe. The stove I removed has an 8" opening with 8" single wall pipe coming from the top of the stove to the box going through the ceiling/roof with 8" double wall. The Regency stove is 6". My question: is there any reason I shouldn't/can't run 6" single wall pipe within or through the 8" double wall pipe - securing the 6" to the 8" with three angle braces at both the bottom and top? There is approximately a 1" space between the circumference of the 8" double wall and the 6" single wall. I was thinking that I would extent the 6" single wall pipe a few inches above the end of the 8" double wall at the termination point and installing a 6" cap.

Greetings. The quick answer is, it depends. A lot of older stoves were not all that particular about draft. Modern ones can be more fussy. It may be possible to pipe it with an increaser to the wall thimble. Some questions to determine this are:
What altitude are you at?
Approx. how tall is the flue system from stovetop to chimney cap?
Is this a masonry or stainless steel chimney? If masonry, is there a tile liner and what is the ID?

hey begreen, is he describing running a single wall stove pipe up thru a chimney, and to outside?

Reactions: JRDAX1
Greetings. The quick answer is, it depends. A lot of older stoves were not all that particular about draft. Modern ones can be more fussy. It may be possible to pipe it with an increaser to the wall thimble. Some questions to determine this are:
Is this a masonry or stainless steel chimney? If masonry, is there a tile liner and what is the ID?
Hello begreen and thanks for replying! Answers to your questions: I live at 7,400' elevation wise. From top of stove to bottom of cal is 9.5'. The chimney is 8' double wall stainless.

Again, wondering if I can just insert the 6" single wall pipe through the 8" double wall from the ceiling/roof box to the cap. This length is 5'. I thought about using an increaser, but I'm curious if I can just use the 8" double wall as a sort of conduit for the 6" single (or even double wall) up to the cap.

I've asked the owners of two local stove shops - one said that it was definitely doable and the other said it was not., because the 6" pipe would deteriorate rather quickly. Hoping to find a more definitive answer here.

That is what I'm attempting to describe.
No that is not a good idea, stove pipe can't be put in a chimney pipe. I still wanted to understand what is presently installed because it may also not be a good idea for the stove draft requirements. 9.5' of flue at 6700' is not going to provide enough draft, especially with two 90º turns in the flue path.

Based on what we know so far, it sounds like a new 6" chimney system will be required and it should be at least 16' from stovetop to chimney cap for a modern stove. Some stoves will work with 12' but compensation needs to be made for the altitude and turns in the flue system.