660 Milling White Pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
Smokin; I stopped in the Wood Chop Shop this morning and found out I have a free bar (20 inch) and chain coming.... when I picked the 660 up the 20 inch bar was off it.

I have two 20's already so I had them order a 25 inch for milling some of the smaller stuff and I'll pay the difference.

zap

That will help on those smaller ones. Wish that would happen to me! :lol:

I was just happy getting the saw I never even thought about the bar because I had ordered the 36 inch for milling, then she said what about your free chain, Monday started off good.

zap

so you have a 16,20,25,28,36?

& 18.

Nice you should be good for life if you rotate a little....

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny" date="1311618233 said:
Smokin; I stopped in the Wood Chop Shop this morning and found out I have a free bar (20 inch) and chain coming.... when I picked the 660 up the 20 inch bar was off it.

I have two 20's already so I had them order a 25 inch for milling some of the smaller stuff and I'll pay the difference.

zap

I was just happy getting the saw I never even thought about the bar because I had ordered the 36 inch for milling, then she said what about your free chain, Monday started off good.

zap

& 18.

Should be set, just ordered the two ripping chains for the twenty five inch so everything will be ready when it comes in. Dropping another topped off pine tomorrow then limb it up so it's ready for milling.

We should get close to 20 feet if not over from this, then the bigger pine which is topped off is right next to it.

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay" date="1311618400 said:

zap

zap

& 18.

Should be set, just ordered the two ripping chains for the twenty five inch so everything will be ready when it comes in. Dropping another topped off pine tomorrow then limb it up so it's ready for milling.

We should get close to 20 feet if not over from this, then the bigger pine which is topped off is right next to it.

Whats the plans for the first Build?

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny" date="1311626042 said:

zap

zap

& 18.

Thats what we have to decide tonight, either a shed for the yard tractor and stuff or a small cabin. The pine I will be milling from this point on will be for the outside or inside walls, need to come up with the length we need or would milling eight footers be fine.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay" date="1311626128 said:
zapny" date="1311626042 said:

zap

zap

& 18.

Thats what we have to decide tonight, either a shed for the yard tractor and stuff or a small cabin. The pine I will be milling from this point on will be for the outside or inside walls, need to come up with the length we need or would milling eight footers be fine.

zap

Be nice to have a few 10-12 ft'ers around. If you dont no big deal. You get longer than 12 foot its going to get hard to move.

Nice job Zap, how often do you have to sharpen the chain? What are you using to sharpen it? I am lucky I have the Bobcat with forks, I lay two rounds on their side then lift the log up on top of the two rounds and then I am working at table height. I broke my hand in June so I have not milled in awhile. It is fine now. Hopefully will get started again in the fall once the pole barn gets built. Still waiting for the materials and crew to show up.

GolfandWoodNut said:
Nice job Zap, how often do you have to sharpen the chain? What are you using to sharpen it? I am lucky I have the Bobcat with forks, I lay two rounds on their side then lift the log up on top of the two rounds and then I am working at table height. I broke my hand in June so I have not milled in awhile. It is fine now. Hopefully will get started again in the fall once the pole barn gets built. Still waiting for the materials and crew to show up.

GolfandWoodNut, glad that your hand is better. It was a new chain so I never had to sharpen it but will hand file it this week, we did get a Oregon 109179 - Heavy Duty Grinder / Sharpener with Hydraulic ASSIST so once I get better we will be sharpening the ripping chains with that.

zap

Cowboy Billy said:
Looks great Zap

I was surprised at how smooth the finish was I didn't realize a CSM cut that nice!

Billy

Billy thanks, we were very happy with the finished product also and liked the ez rail system. I had plenty of help from the guys on here, thanks.

Makes me look at a pine tree a little different then I use to.

zap

zapny said:
Cowboy Billy said:
Looks great Zap

I was surprised at how smooth the finish was I didn't realize a CSM cut that nice!

Billy

Billy thanks, we were very happy with the finished product also and liked the ez rail system. I had plenty of help from the guys on here, thanks.

zap

Thats the way I have been looking at the tulip trees, not real good firewood but should be a great barn...

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
Cowboy Billy said:
Looks great Zap

Billy

zap

Thats the way I have been looking at the tulip trees, not real good firewood but should be a great barn...

Tulip is great lumber. Light, doesn't split, and is insect resistant. My dad and I built a barn and a solar kiln out of tulip (and black locust for posts).

lukem said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
Cowboy Billy said:
Looks great Zap

Billy

zap

Tulip is great lumber. Light, doesn't split, and is insect resistant. My dad and I built a barn and a solar kiln out of tulip (and black locust for posts).

Sweet, I have both didnt know how good it would be.....Easy on the mill to.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
Cowboy Billy said:
Looks great Zap

Billy

zap

On the thickness for the pine on the outside of a cabin or shed would 1.25 be good or is that to thin? Hope this storm blows through so I can drop that pine, nasty looking clouds moving in, under a severe thunderstorm watch until seven.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
Cowboy Billy said:
Looks great Zap

Billy

zap

On the thickness for the pine on the outside of a cabin or shed would 1.25 be good or is that to thin? Hope this storm blows through so I can drop that pine, nasty looking clouds moving in, under a severe thunderstorm watch until seven.

zap

1.25 is thick that will be a strong shead! As much as you have what the heck....

smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
Cowboy Billy said:
Looks great Zap

Billy

zap

Don't be afraid of building with it green too. We didn't dry any of it before building the kiln...fresh milled...no warping yet...but then again it is inside the kiln. My BIL does a lot of timber frame on covered bridges and uses fresh milled tulip for some of it.

The barn lumber was bought at an auction and was sitting covered for a long time. It got so hard we had to pre-drill when nailing.

lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
Cowboy Billy" date="1311614434 said:
Looks great Zap

Billy

zap

Don't be afraid of building with it green too. We didn't dry any of it before building the kiln...fresh milled...no warping yet...but then again it is inside the kiln. My BIL does a lot of timber frame on covered bridges and uses fresh milled tulip for some of it.

The barn lumber was bought at an auction and was sitting covered for a long time. It got so hard we had to pre-drill when nailing.

Awesome taking the trees down in sept. Was going to wait til sprig to build but if there no reason to wait why not start. (Figured I would use screw aswell) Figured I would bust cants at 3-1/2 2x4 or 4x4 as needed.

smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay said:
zapny" date="1311711009 said:
Looks great Zap

Billy

zap

Awesome taking the trees down in sept. Was going to wait til sprig to build but if there no reason to wait why not start. (Figured I would use screw aswell) Figured I would bust cants at 3-1/2 2x4 or 4x4 as needed.

I have a good design for a chicken coop if you want it. You could substitute some of the materials for what you can mill yourself (used some T11 but you could do board and baton). Let me know if you want it.

lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay" date="1311711150 said:
zapny" date="1311711009 said:
Looks great Zap

Billy

zap

I have a good design for a chicken coop if you want it. You could substitute some of the materials for what you can mill yourself (used some T11 but you could do board and baton). Let me know if you want it.

Yep yep.......! That is first on the list. :cheese:

Smokin are you building a chicken coop?

zap

zapny said:

zap

Soon as I get time to drop a couple big tulips. Should have enough for a coop and small barn.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

Soon as I get time to drop a couple big tulips. Should have enough for a coop and small barn.

How long can a pine be down and still worth milling? We have some up top that are down plus topped off.

zap

Attachments

• 100_3579.jpg
    100_3579.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 146
  • 100_3580.jpg
    100_3580.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 100_3581.jpg
    100_3581.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 134
The tree in the first pic is pretty well off the ground. It should be good for a while.

Pop the top off you will know for sure, but it looks good from here!

smokinjay said:
Pop the top off you will know for sure, but it looks good from here!

I was going to do that last night but we had mom & two young fawns near by so I left the area. Plenty down on the property when you first come in on the low part so I'll stick with that.

Once the five foot rails come in I'll connect them to the nine footers then mill the ten footers from that pine we dropped. After that is done we'll move back where we have some good size pine down for milling.

Here are the pine that are up on the list once we get the one done by the house, should get some nice boards from these.

bw

Attachments

• 100_2889.jpg
    100_2889.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 121
  • 100_2890.jpg
    100_2890.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 112
  • 100_2891.jpg
    100_2891.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 100_2895.jpg