6K Miles on BEV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

boomfire

Jun 9, 2022
PA
Close to 6K miles on my Ioniq 5. (6 Months).

I live in a Rural area, nearest grocery store is 35-40 Minutes away. Nearest Hardware store or general shopping is 40 minutes away. Nearest ER/Hospital is more than an hour away. A family doctor (or even a nurse) is 40 minutes away. I have to leave house with a list of things to get/do and make sure I check off everything before I return home. If I forget to buy something in a store, I am pretty much screwed. It is nearly a 2 hour effort to go and comeback (long and tiring), plus gas (previous car). Nothing close, pretty remote [you get the picture]. We needed a true grocery getter, which is 80%-90% of our travels in the year.

I was hesitant at first but decided to get one anyway. Walked into dealership and bought one brand new. I self installed a Level 2 Charger, maxing out 48A on 60A circuit breaker and charge our car at home. Nearest DC charger is more than an hour away. If i am on a road trip, plenty of apps to locate DC chargers around. Car hits 80% charge on a DC charger (350kw) in under 18 Minutes (Max). By the time I use the restroom, get some coffee and a donut, charging is almost done. Having a 800V architecture battery in a car is nice. Most BEV cars in the market today run on 400v, with most manufacturers moving towards 800v+ architectures in the future. [ 400V vs 800V ]. Competition is good, this pushes everyone else to do more and better. Overall pretty satisfied with our purchase [I do me, you do you]

I know there are folks who live much deeper in rural/remote areas. But its doable (I think), unless you are over 200 miles from nearest civilization then it might require a lot of planning [as of today]

I do have another ICE car, sort of like a backup generator, which rarely gets used other than towing, offroading or if the ioniq 5 is in use. Thinking of replacing it with a BEV truck in near future and get a beater ICE for as a cheaper backup.

What is the best feature of the Ionic 5 in your opinion? What’s the one or two things you wish they would change?

What is the best feature of the Ionic 5 in your opinion? What’s the one or two things you wish they would change?

Charging Speed, Spacious (This is very important for us), Looks like a car (Blends very well with other cars on the road), well designed, Fast Acceleration (this is pretty common in BEV's), AWD [we get a lot of snow in winter].

If anything I would like to change, they are minor stuff or wishlist.
Rear window wiper, Wireless carplay (not available on SE model, but i use a bluetooth dongle), sentry mode [looks like it could be available in future releases]

Reactions: sloeffle and EbS-P
Lucky you are to get one. They are rare locally and dealers are tacking on a $10k premium. How has it been for winter driving. Range in winter? Does the cabin heat well at 10º?

Reactions: boomfire
Lucky you are to get one. They are rare locally and dealers are tacking on a $10k premium. How has it been for winter driving. Range in winter? Does the cabin heat well at 10º?

We got it in April, Didnt get a chance to truly test in winter conditions. I will update this thread with my winter observations after this winter.

We bought it 1k Under MSRP.

But yea, you are right, I called a dealer for f150 lightning (BEV), they want 30k over MSRP and people are buying. I decided to wait until this madness is over (hopefully).

I've seen one Ioniq 5 in our town. It's a nice-looking car and the reviews are quite good for it. I was reading a review of the Ioniq 6 which looks like quite a unique cool car too.

After 6000 miles I am wondering what your average mileage is like?

After 6000 miles I am wondering what your average mileage is like?

3.6 mi/kWh

Most charging is done at home and a few hundred miles (give or take) are at DC charger with electrify america. Ioniq 5 comes with 3 year free dc charging at any Electrify America charging station.

Give or take, it cost me roughly around $150 for 6k miles.

Last edited:
3.6 mi/kWh

Most charging is done at home and a few hundred miles (give or take) are at DC charger with electrify america. Ioniq 5 comes with 3 year free dc charging at any Electrify America charging station.

That’s respectable. I think once Kia/Hyundai ramp production and get a 3 row BEV SUV on the market they will be very competitive with ford GM and Toyota. 800v architecture is may have been gamble but it might payoff.

But yea, you are right, I called a dealer for f150 lightning (BEV), they want 30k over MSRP and people are buying. I decided to wait until this madness is over (hopefully).
That's crazy. I don't understand why people would be willing to pay that much over MSRP for a vehicle. I'm assuming it's a "look at me" type of thing. No, thanks.

That's impressive. How much in maintenance ?

That's impressive. How much in maintenance ?
I presume $0 - even a new ICE car would only have had 1 oil change (possibly) at 6000 miles on the odometer.

I have seen a couple of these at DCFC stations. Arriving after me and leaving before I do. LOL.

What kind of summer range are you getting? Versus EPA. Stock tires? Are you changing the tires/wheels for winter, or is AWD with all-seasons gonna do it for you?

I have seen a couple of these at DCFC stations. Arriving after me and leaving before I do. LOL.

What kind of summer range are you getting? Versus EPA. Stock tires? Are you changing the tires/wheels for winter, or is AWD with all-seasons gonna do it for you?

Yep, I have done that, I have seen many cars getting charged when I arrive and leave before them.

Based on my calculations, Stock All Season tires.

Summer numbers for my car = 121.32 MPGe [ 33.7 x 3.6 ] - Wiki

Ioniq 5 Advertised numbers for AWD - 110 City/87 hwy/90 Combined MPGe

Doing better than advertised. But its my wife's primary car, she drives conservatively in either ECO or Normal mode. I drive in sport mode.

If there is a rare winter day that has few feet of snow on the roads, i will switch to my Jeep, otherwise this is plenty of car for NEPA.

Reactions: woodgeek
I never understood MPGe. I was asking what kind of range (miles) you get. Or eff in (mi/kWh).

Reactions: stoveliker
I never understood MPGe. I was asking what kind of range (miles) you get. Or eff in (mi/kWh).
Some made up equivalence. 3.6 miles per kWh is good enough for me.

We get decent amount of snow, although Ioniq 5 came with all season tires, I swapped them recently with Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV XL tires for the duration of winter. I will swap them back in April. These tires are great, it gives a bit more confidence to my wife who is the primary driver. Worst case weather scenario, she can still drive my Wrangler.

If the regular road is closed due to snow, or trees fallen down due to winds etc which happened in the past, the only other way to main road from house is as a 2 mile downhill dirt road full of ditches, boulders, small water streams etc. Fun drive. with my wrangler, that I wouldn't attempt with Ioniq 5.

Reactions: woodgeek
Have you thought about getting the V2G module? It seems pretty slick and not too expensive.

I'm envious of that functionality, much slicker than my 12V kludge.

Have you thought about getting the V2G module? It seems pretty slick and not too expensive.

I'm envious of that functionality, much slicker than my 12V kludge.

Not a priority for me at the moment. But I have it on my agenda after a BEV truck purchase at the end of this year or early next year (Depending on availability).

Reactions: EbS-P