7/8" HIGH density gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chas0218

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2015
Beaver Dams New York
Is there anywhere online that sells the black/graphite 7/8" high density gasket? I can't seem to find any in the black or graphite color. I mean white isn't horrible just looking for something that might match the stock gasket. I installed a new gasket being mindful to not stretch the gasket and is still a little loose on top more than I like. I'm sure I could shut a fire down but would rather not need to replace a gasket during the burning season. Any help is greatly appreciated.

It is but they sent me the 3/4" under warranty but it still didn't seal on the top of the stove. I'm planning on going a size bigger. When doing the dollar bill test I can actually slide the dollar bill in with the door shut and sealed. The top is the only edge that fails the test in my opinion.

I might be wrong but when doing the dollar bill test I should feel a slight resistance when pulling and shouldn't actually be able to push it back in.

It is but they sent me the 3/4" under warranty but it still didn't seal on the top of the stove. I'm planning on going a size bigger. When doing the dollar bill test I can actually slide the dollar bill in with the door shut and sealed. The top is the only edge that fails the test in my opinion.

I might be wrong but when doing the dollar bill test I should feel a slight resistance when pulling and shouldn't actually be able to push it back in.
Correct - when pulling the dollar it should feel as though the dollar is about to tare, no way should you be able to push it back into the stove with the door shut all the way.
Check the door to see if the latch can be adjust, if your going the next size up consult with a pro about changing from a high density to a standard density. 3/4" high density 7/8" standard density.

Correct - when pulling the dollar it should feel as though the dollar is about to tare, no way should you be able to push it back into the stove with the door shut all the way.
Check the door to see if the latch can be adjust, if your going the next size up consult with a pro about changing from a high density to a standard density. 3/4" high density 7/8" standard density.
I checked my manual and visually inspecting the only thing I can do is try and shut the door harder. If the hinges were adjustable it would be perfect. Right now the hinge side is slightly compressed where the latch side is flat. I saw where a few have used the standard/medium density 1" gasket to get a proper seal. I checked the stove for any warps and everything is good door and stove just poor gasket fitment. Might just bite the bullet and spend a few bucks and get the white 7/8" high density gasket worse comes to worse I need to replace with the 3/4" again or step up to 1".

The primary reason for the black gasket is that it contains graphite to keep the gasket from sticking to the paint on the stove. If the stove has a season under its belt then that should be a non-issue.

The primary reason for the black gasket is that it contains graphite to keep the gasket from sticking to the paint on the stove. If the stove has a season under its belt then that should be a non-issue.
Would putting my own dry graphite dust on it make a difference? I have some that I use to lubricate woodworking machines as oil has a tendency to cake with the dust.

You could wipe it with it. Shouldn't hurt anything but probably not needed.

Got the 7/8" gasket in definitely a little thicker than stock and should work well. It was advertised as 8' but seemed a lot longer closer to 10' or 11' but either way I plan on installing it this week and see how it fits. I'll keep everyone updated.

Reactions: Woody harrelson