75% Non Catalyst Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GoStove

Dec 6, 2021
USA
Hey guys saw some older discussion however didn’t know if anything might have changed recently. Have had my sights set on a Pacific Energy Summit Classic for years but the 74% (so close!!) rating doesn’t qualify for the tax credit. Are there any large / comparable non catalyst stoves out there that do qualify?

I almost started to look at the Jotul F500 V3 with its warranty and different take / their combustor but for a corner install using the side door is apparently prohibited.

I do believe a convective stove would be best for my situation and preferably with the ability to load north south (the Summit Classic is basically perfect other than missing the credit by 1%). Or should I just bite the bullet and get the PE? Thanks!!

Last edited:
The Lopi Evergreen qualifies and is the same size as the F500v3.

Thanks guys. Leaning towards a 3+ cubic foot firebox for longer burns. I have been on a deep dive on the Osburn 3500 and the Drolet HT3000.

Do you guys think I’d miss the EBT of the PE stoves?

I see Osburn lists airwash / Drolet doesn’t but there’s a mention in the manual, maybe they both have it.

Is the Osburn worth the higher price?

All modern stoves with ceramic glass have an airwash to keep the glass clean.

Essentially they are the same. The Osburn has a some better hardware and a C-Cast baffle instead of the vermiculite baffle in the Drolet.

Good to know on the airwash, thanks!

Is there a big advantage to the c-cast?

If the airwash is a wash, I guess the main thing I’d lose out on would be the EBT feature of the Summit. Do you think that’s a big deal or something I’d be wishing I had later down the road? Unfortunately, I haven’t had a chance to compare EBT to non-EBT etc.

C-Cast is a tougher and more durable refractory material.

Both companies make good stoves. The EBT helps extend the burn time by reducing secondary air flow as the fire dies down but there are other major firebox differences between PE and SBI stoves. PE does not use secondary tubes in the Summit. Instead, it has a two level, stainless steel baffle with the secondary air system in the bottom chamber. The side rails are also stainless.

Thanks. Do these baffles wear out a lot? I see the replacement is $45 for the Drolet.

Thanks for the info, oddly it seems the Summit and the SBIs are both at about 10 hours. Different ways of going about it perhaps? I am in a sometimes windy area, not sure if EBT helps more there.

I see in the SBI manual it states the baffles and the tubes do wear out and are a maintenance item. Would the PE system be better there or would that baffle also have to be replaced? I see it has a lifetime warranty but then says 10 years right next to that, not sure what that means.

I see in the SBI manual it states the baffles and the tubes do wear out and are a maintenance item. Would the PE system be better there or would that baffle also have to be replaced? I see it has a lifetime warranty but then says 10 years right next to that, not sure what that means.
tubes almost never need replacing if the stove is not over fired. Baffle will last a long time. Years?? Weakest point I see is the steel the tubes insert into. But again if you don’t over fire the stove they will last a long time.

PE is a different tier of stove. Get the Drolet to save money even if you have to replace the baffle every 5 years and new set of tubes at 10 years your still lots of money ahead. But you will have to look at it for 20 years. The PE looks better. PE makes a great Stove. The value of the Drolet one can’t be beat.

Reactions: stoveliker
I can't speak to PE but I've had my Osburn for 4 years now and love it. It looks good and does it's job well. SBI also has fantastic customer service. It's really easy to get a representative and they have always been helpful and willing to listen when I've called.

To be clear I haven't had any issues with the stove. I just wanted to match the paint after my dog drooled all over it one summer and I was refinishing the top. Also called for some backup parts and to ask a few questions about the manual. They were helpful every time.

If the stove is not overfired, the stainless tubes are going to last many years, if not decades. The same thing goes for the PE baffle. Ours is on it's 15th season and doing fine.
Thanks. Do these baffles wear out a lot? I see the replacement is $45 for the Drolet.
If the baffle is treated carefully, it can last several years. The primary reason people replace them is often due to human error when bumped hard with a log when trying to load the stove or hit by a brush from above when cleaning the flue. If I had this stove I'd probably upgrade to c-cast when the vermiculite baffle needed replacement.

Thanks guys, I did not realize the tubes lasted that long, an internet search engine was telling me replacement every 5 years. I guess I can see the benefit of the Osburn’s upgraded baffle (having to replace something every couple years doesn’t sound appealing).

How are the finishes on SBI stoves? I had been sold on the PE’s porcelain enamel but that Summit Classic is still at 74%. Considering I have a quote to install (no stove currently so this is a from scratch install) that is not cheap 30% helps a lot.

At this point I think it comes down to the finish, baffle system, and whether or not EBT will make a difference.

Last edited:
The Summit LE is a more direct comparison. The Summit Classic has a porcelain enameled jacket and lid.
The Summit LE and the Osburn 3500 are a closer comparison, with the Osburn having a bit larger firebox.

My Osburn isn't fancy looking but I think it's a classic look. It's standing up to my children and 200 lbs dog that drools everywhere. I would go enameled if I had the option (nothing enameled fit my spot) due to dog drool. I just sand and repaint every couple years now. In the summer I put a towel over it so he doesn't drool on it. If I had no dog drool and no kids the finish would last forever.

If you look closely up top you can see the 2 shades of paint. Parly cause of dust but also that's where I sanded to when I repainted. This thing really takes an absolute beating every year and does the job.

1000001205.jpg

Reactions: stoveliker
I own the little brother to the Summit Classic, the Spectrum Classic, it is now 25 years old still beautiful and burning strong. Like all wood burning appliances I usually change door and window gaskets every 2-3 years as per our old friend Tom Oyen's recommendations. 2 years ago or so I did change the side rails because they had warp slightly and that bugged me (they were still very usable), the originals were made of steel I believe the new ones are stainless steel and I was told they do last longer, ( however 22 + years on the original side rails is darn good in my view ). What I love is that you can drop PE's stainless steel baffle and it does not crack in two, chip or break a corner which means it must be replaced as in most other stoves and it is so much quicker and easier to remove and reinstall than other systems.
IMHO the PE stainless steel baffle system can absolutely not be beat for simplicity and longevity especially if you clean and maintain your stove, pipes and chimney a couple of times per year.
The Spectrum Classic came with black enameled panels, gold plated legs and door, it still looks great.

There are many many good wood burning appliances available to fit all needs and budgets out there they all have much to offer.

Stove & Pipe .jpg

Last edited:
I own the little brother to the Summit Classic, the Spectrum Classic, it is now 25 years old still beautiful and burning strong. Like all wood burning appliances I usually change door and window gaskets every 2-3 years as per our old friend Tom Oyen's recommendations. 2 years ago or so I did change the side rails because they had warp slightly and that bugged me (they were still very usable), the originals were made of steel I believe the new ones are stainless steel and I was told they do last longer, ( however 22 + years on the original side rails is darn good in my view ). What I love is that you can drop PE's stainless steel baffle and it does not crack in two, chip or break a corner which means it must be replaced as in most other stoves and it is so much quicker and easier to remove and reinstall than other systems.
IMHO the PE stainless steel baffle system can absolutely not be beat for simplicity and longevity especially if you clean and maintain your stove, pipes and chimney a couple of times per year.
The Spectrum Classic came with black enameled panels, gold plated legs and door, it still looks great.

There are many many good wood burning appliances available to fit all needs and budgets out there they all have much to offer.

View attachment 323360
Nice!
Do you still have the manual for your stove? If so, could you post a good picture of the parts diagram in this thread?

Hi begreen, unfortunately not, no idea where the manual disappeared to. I know it could help someone, if I ever put my hands on it I will post it.

Reactions: begreen
Unfortunately, with Tom's passing, we lost some important knowledge on the older model.