$750 for a hardly used Stihl 460? About right, or ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boiler74

Burning Hunk
Nov 30, 2012
West Lafayette, IN
Is $750 for a three cut MS 460 Magnum too much, or a good price? I don't have a reference. Seller only has the original bar and chain. Says it was bought, used for three cuts to test, and then never used again. So what say you??

Thanks
Josh

I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't tempted . Will He let You pull the muffler cover to look at the piston and cylinder ?

Assuming its a year or two old he probably paid around ~950 so I would say its a fair/good price. Get him down 100-150 bucks and its a very good price.

3 runs says new saw to me . So, yep it seems reasonable to me .
You might want to talk to Master Mech Scotty Overkill,,or Stihlhead on this though . They have a decent grip on the value of used saws .

Condition is everything. If it looks new, has a good bar/chain on it, and runs as good as it looks, then $750 is about right.

Would need pics to better price it but it doesn't sound too far off. New or at least uber-mint 460's go north of $8-850 + shipping all day long on ebay.

I'd grab it for $750 if its strong running & not straight gassed.

Reactions: Nixon
Heck, i'm thinking for $750 ,even if it's slightly smoked ,you could have it ported and still be ahead !

I paid around $900 new for mine w/ 25" this year.

Being used and NOT having a Warranty, I would be more comfortable around $650, maybe $700.

For $200 more, I would buy a warranty. IMO

Reactions: smokinj

Being used and NOT having a Warranty, I would be more comfortable around $650, maybe $700.

Agreed. But you can't find new anymore. They aren't made. My local dealer said he can still get 440s new though.

I saw this ad on CL too.....It looks VERY clean. If your in the market, I'd go take a look . Take a T27 scrench and pull the muffler. If no scoring, get out your wallet but only show him $650 and have the extra $100 tucked in your pocket if needed.

Reactions: Thistle
Guy doesn't seem to want to deal at all. And I don't get a great feeling when communicating with him. Think I'm going to pass for now. Thanks all.

Best deal ever is a 460 new out the door....Not saying there are deals out there but my best deal has been 900.00 new out the door as well.....:)

Best deal ever is a 460 new out the door....Not saying there are deals out there but my best deal has been 900.00 new out the door as well.....:)

It took a little haggling, but they took just under $100 off my 460 Mag. Paying cash is what did it for me.

$900 w/ 25" is a "Smokin" deal ;)

Reactions: smokinj
Is $750 for a three cut MS 460 Magnum too much, or a good price? I don't have a reference. Seller only has the original bar and chain. Says it was bought, used for three cuts to test, and then never used again. So what say you??

Thanks
Josh

If it is as-advertised, and if you are in the market to step up to a big boy saw, $750 is a steal.

Status
Not open for further replies.