77 Vigilant Garage Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jcichy71

Nov 8, 2022
New York
It ain’t much to look at but it was free… new to me 77 VC Vigilant, installing it in my new poll barn, can anyone familiar with these stoves tell me what I have and what I’m missing? I’ve been scouring the internet trying to figure it out… there is no fire brick inside, is that normal? One post I read said you had to put playground sand in the bottom is that accurate? Do I need a grate? And does anyone know where I can get the right handles, they seem to be missing from the front door and side damper.

Thanks in advance for the help!

01E68D28-1C2F-4ECA-9DEF-663B52FEB6BF.jpeg 0988C01B-3317-417B-AA79-00D8C2B60862.jpeg 77538206-EB3C-46DB-9489-BE76C65CCF01.jpeg 4B8C6D62-E29D-4272-958F-8693DB5CEF8E.jpeg D04BCA68-5889-421F-8F63-EE01502476EF.jpeg 2BE82180-2BA8-420D-AD7A-44EC82AF34A2.jpeg B0380142-2A12-4654-9F1B-781666E4440B.jpeg 2EE1A708-E2D4-41A8-A3D9-9EE49CDA6A11.jpeg

First check to see if woodstoves are permitted in garages in this jurisdiction. Normally they are not.

The Vigilant does not have firebrick. Check with Woodmans for the missing drop handle or on eBay.

Last edited:
So I have all the “guts” if you will? I can start a fire right on the metal on the bottom?
It looks complete other than the missing grate. And no starting a fire in the ash pan will not work well.

Woodstoves are also absolutely not allowed by code in NY

Wait that doesn't look like it has an ash pan.

I’m not sure why the comments about no stoves in NY, I’m in upstate NY not the city. I’m also a building code inspector. I have a woodstove in my house and woodstoves are also permitted in out buildings.

So am I missing an ash pan or this stove dosent have one? Can I buy any old grate from say tractor supply or should I search out the original?

Thanks again for your help, my other stove uses firebrick so this setup is new to me.

I’m not sure why the comments about no stoves in NY, I’m in upstate NY not the city. I’m also a building code inspector. I have a woodstove in my house and woodstoves are also permitted in out buildings.

So am I missing an ash pan or this stove dosent have one? Can I buy any old grate from say tractor supply or should I search out the original?

Thanks again for your help, my other stove uses firebrick so this setup is new to me.
As per the enclosed snippet, NFPA 211 states:

Location of Appliances.

12.2.4 Solid fuel burning appliances shall not be installed in any garage.

Additionally, 12.2.3 forbids installation anywhere gasoline or other flammable vapors may be present.

It's pretty clear

It’s not a garage, it’s a barn 🤷🏻‍♂️ And there is no gasoline or fuel stored in it.
Ok the title says garage so I assumed garage. Outbuildings are fine

It looks like your stove doesn't have an ash pan and that means probably doesn't have a grate. Look up the manual from the tag on the back it should clear it up

It looks like your stove doesn't have an ash pan and that means probably doesn't have a grate. Look up the manual from the tag on the back it should clear it up
Ok thank you I will do some more research… I was just hoping i might find someone that has one for the past 50 years and was an expert!

Ok thank you I will do some more research… I was just hoping i might find someone that has one for the past 50 years and was an expert!
Honestly there are so many variations through the years it's best to get the manual

The manual is in this forum somewhere. No grate or firebricks required. The manual recommends adding sand to the bottom just to the depth of the fins. Leaving it that deep in ash whenever you clean it out. Also recommended to shop vac out the back of the fireback from the hole on the right side. Ash builds up behind the small holes and creates uneven temps that can crack the fireback.

Reactions: bholler
The manual is in this forum somewhere. No grate or firebricks required. The manual recommends adding sand to the bottom just to the depth of the fins. Leaving it that deep in ash whenever you clean it out. Also recommended to shop vac out the back of the fireback from the hole on the right side. Ash builds up behind the small holes and creates uneven temps that can crack the fireback.
Awesome I’ see if I can find it, but thank you for the info!

Awesome I’ see if I can find it, but thank you for the info!
Yeah sorry about the confusion there. Later ones have an ash pan under a grate that was our mistake. I didn't realize untill I looked closer at the pics