8" damper location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Co3Da

Dec 8, 2008
Central, PA
Hi, everyone I posted earlier about the 30yr old kodiak, so I did manage to find an 8" damper and my question was where is the best place for the damper, I was hoping to put it on the collar of the stove right where the smoke pipe joins it like the newer ones are, but I do have a heat recalimer on it 15" up and someone had said put it after the reclaimer but he wasnt sure,any suggestions would be appreciated.

Well, the reclaimer will heat less, but the stove more...if you locate it under it. If you locate it above it, the reclaimer will do a little more with heat that gets out of the stove.
All in all, it should not make a big difference. I like to put them about a foot from the stove on old stoves which need more control.

Thanks for the quick response, do you put them a foot for the convience since it needs more control that makes it easier to reach and all?

Status
Not open for further replies.