8" duravent to dvl/double wall stove pipe install....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chip Wood

Nov 29, 2016
NY
hey!

i'm stuck on my chimney install and after a few days waiting for tech support to get back to me, it's now the weekend and i don't expect they'll be calling back on a Saturday. has anyone here made the transition from chimney pipe to double wall stove pipe?

the "finishing collar w/adapter" (8DT-FC) fits into the chimney pipe just fine, twist it and it seats.

on the near side of the finishing collar i'm going into the "chimney adapter DB & DVL" (8DVL-ADC), which i understand to be the necessary adapter to then fit into the double wall stove pipe (in this case, 8DVL-E90, an elbow).

the chimney adapter seems to seat into the stove pipe, but it doesn't really mate properly with the finishing collar.
IMG_5895.JPG IMG_5896.JPG IMG_5897.JPG
any ideas? i don't see any other adapter available for this purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are using the finishing collar with adaptor then you won’t need a chimney adaptor. Doesn’t the dvl 90 go right over the finishing collar?

This is confusing. Does the 8DVL-ADT include the trim that covers the connection? And is the trim the finishing collar?

i thought about that, it seats well enough, though maybe not as snug as i'd have thought. but there's no way to secure it. the holes for the sheet metal screws are in the outer wall of the stove pipe. the sleeve from the finishing collar of course slips inside the inner wall....

I’m pretty sure the chimney adaptor is for a ceiling box. The finishing collar with adaptor is all that is needed on a Tee system. Because the chimney pipe actually protruded into the room.

There used to be tabs that locked it in place. They got rid of those become you could not remove it for cleaning. We just predrill and use 3/4 screws to secure it all together. It’s not ideal to penetrate the inner wall, but there’s no other way to make a secure connection. At the stove top 3 screws are required too, but no pipe manufacturer but excel ever made a provision for this that I know of.

yeah, i was wondering about that stove top adapter as well. the outer wall sits over the holes in the stove top itself, so it would seem you'd have to drill/screw from the inside.

like you said, penetrating inner walls seems counter-intuitive.

yeah, i was wondering about that stove top adapter as well. the outer wall sits over the holes in the stove top itself, so it would seem you'd have to drill/screw from the inside.

like you said, penetrating inner walls seems counter-intuitive.
Really though it’s 2 systems coming together. It’s not required to use similar brands of chimney and connector pipes. So I assume it’s made to be somewhat universal. I’m curious what customer service will say about the connections on both ends. We’ve come up with a good way to make a secure stovetop connection, we rarely ever use the stovetop adaptor becuase it fits so poorly..