8 inch appliance to 7or 6 inch liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
My Appalachian appears to have an 8 inch opening on the top of the stove. The clay liner in the chimney is about 7X12. So what do I use to line it? do I ovalize a 7 or 8 inch liner? would it be unsafe or unwise to use a 6 inch liner? I hae a 28 foot chimney so we are probably talking a 30 foot liner. What kind of pipe do I order for this thing?

David

DavidV said:
My Appalachian appears to have an 8 inch opening on the top of the stove. The clay liner in the chimney is about 7X12. So what do I use to line it? do I ovalize a 7 or 8 inch liner? would it be unsafe or unwise to use a 6 inch liner? I hae a 28 foot chimney so we are probably talking a 30 foot liner. What kind of pipe do I order for this thing?

David

You do not NEED to line it at all if your chimney is in good condition. Use a 5 foot tube from the insert up til near the clay flue tile.

If you wish to line, your best bet is to buy rectangle flex pipe of 6 x 10 or something like that - expensive, but keeps flue size closer to the original. You can then get adapter for the unit, etc.

Unless you are quite handy, it's a job for a pro. In fact, probably 1/2 of the pros have a tough time with stuff like this!

davidv said:
8-inch opening on the top of the stove...Would it be unsafe or unwise to use a 6 inch liner?
Similar Q: My inherited smoker is an 80's Sedley insert. Problem is lack of draft on afternoons when outdoor temp goes above 40 deg, which is pretty often here. Best I could do last season was to reload around dawn and around noon not reload but just shut the stove until after sundown. PITA. A look down the chimney shows nothing but a 12" x 12" flue and a smoke shelf, so I think it would be an improvement to bypass the smoke chamber with ~ 5' of pipe in a direct connect to the flue, as suggested, but I was thinking of doing the whole 25' while I'm at it. I want to use 6" pipe because 95% of new stoves seem to use that, and I'll be shopping for one if the chimney fix doesn't make this stove a happy 24/7 burner. I hesitate because it drafts nicely on cold nights, and I run with the screws only ~1/8 turn open. If 25' of 6" creates way too much draft, I'll be screwed.

Ran out of space. Doh!..so I'm guessing that this stove has an 8" fitting since the firebox appears to be ~5.5 cu ft, but I never fully load it, and I've read that a 6" pipe will handle up to 100,000 btu/hr. Does anyone think that 25 - 30' of 6" pipe could cause too much draft on a 20 degree night? I run the draft barely open on such nights, so there's not a lot of room to compensate if the new chimney has a wicked draft. It's a steel box with 0 gaskets. Other than the brass draft screws, I'm sure some air leaks in around the double doors, which appear to rely on a precise fit of the steel pieces rather than any gaskets. There doesn't appear to be much to do to make the stove more air tight if the new liner were to pull too much air. Thoughts?

Guess I am still on the email list for this post. What I ended up doing was buying an 8 inch liner and ovalizing it. A total pain in the ass. If I had it to do again, I would have just used a 6 inch liner and put an adapter on it. I had similar lazy draft issues with my stove. That was cured by the liner. I did the job myself and it was a PITA. Depending on how much it costs, I will probly have my Chimney sweep do the next one (If I replace this or when I move....years away).

Den, I don't know the details about your stove, but a nonEPA stove with a 5.5 cu ft firebox certainly sounds like it would be too much for a 6" flue to me... unless you never pushed the stove. But I'd guess you'll want an 8" flue with that much stove/heat. Keep an eye on stack temps if you try the 6"!

I'd try the 8" direct connect. Save the 6" liner for when you get a 6" stove.

Thanks for the suggestions, gentlemen. ~5.5 cu ft is my estimate. I have no manual for it. The math is simple, but perhaps there is some hearth convention I'm ignoring in the calculation. The firebox is lined with firebrick flat on the bottom and standing around the perimeter of the bottom. My measurements are 26" between the bricks, 21" deep from the back bricks to doors, 15 - 18" high, depending on where you measure on the sloping roof. I never stack it to the top, usually just 3 splits on top of coals. . .big stove, small house. It doesn't get run hard. Since I don't use all of the capacity, I was thinking about stacking more bricks around the perimeter of the firebox. Good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.