8" Stove pipe into round clay thimble.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Photovor

Oct 2, 2008
Central, PA
I have a wood stove with an 8" stove pipe. We are placing the wood burner in the basement (concrete floor, stone walls). The previous owner had a wood stove in the basement (not this one) that went through the stone wall into the clay-lined chimney through a 9 1/2" round clay thimble (if that is the correct term.) So I have an 8" stove pipe I need to fit in there. The round clay pipe goes horizontally back a little longer than my arm can reach, and then goes into my clay pipe lined chimney. How do I adapt my pipe into the chimney? I was looking for increasers, but I can only find them from 8" to 10", and the other thimbles I find don't look like they'd work. So could someone offer some advice?

danfrmmaine said:
You should be able to mortar right into that thimble. I believe. Others will come to your rescue soon.

That's almost what I was thinking, but I didn't want to do something unsafe. If others recommend this, what type of mortar should I use?

must be raining down in PA too. A high lime mortar or a flue mortar can be bought at your local woodstove store (even home desperoto)
Take care

I took a look around the home depot website and wasn't able to find any type of refractory cement or mortar. Were you suggesting for me to use a premix like some sort of quikcrete, or get portland, lime, sand, etc... I'm not going to need that much though. Could someone please clarify the type of cement/mortar please?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.