8 to 6 reduction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I might have a chance to sell my Large flush Travis hybrid . I’d like to get something bigger and bolder . Can I instal something like Buck 91 with 8 to 6 reducer I have 15 feet of smooth wall insulated chimney , interior location, never had problem with draft .

I might have a chance to sell my Large flush Travis hybrid . I’d like to get something bigger and bolder . Can I instal something like Buck 91 with 8 to 6 reducer I have 15 feet of smooth wall insulated chimney , interior location, never had problem with draft .
No

Can you elaborate a little? I want to get some education on a subject. Is it possible lack of air coming trough firebox? I see Largest Kuma inset is only 3.5sq ft Vs. mine 3 , but requires 8 inch.

Can you elaborate a little? I want to get some education on a subject. Is it possible lack of air coming trough firebox? I see Largest Kuma inset is only 3.5sq ft Vs. mine 3 , but requires 8 inch.
For proper draft you need to match the outlet. By downsizing you are reducing the volume but increasing the velocity doing so can cause overheating or lack of draft.

For proper draft you need to match the outlet. By downsizing you are reducing the volume but increasing the velocity doing so can cause overheating or lack of draft.
Damn, it makes sense . Any insert you can recommend that big and deep enough to load N//S ? And yeah, 6 inch flue lol

Some of the PE/Alderlea non flush inserts (Super, Summit, T5) as well as the BK Princess can be loaded N/S if split size is under 18 inches. I believe some of the larger Enviro inserts can be loaded N/S if under 16 inches.

Another that is worth considering, despite being only a 3.0 cu ft box, is the Harman 300i. It's not a cat but gets long burn times (12+ hours) with its afterburner technology, and is supposed to be a heat monster. I know some have said it's tricky to get working and you have to be careful with the fragile afterburner (and remove the insert once a year to clean behind the afterburner assembly). All of that said it's still one I personally considered until I realized the sidewall clearances make it a no go for me. It's pretty much the same thing as the Harman TL300 stove minus the top load, so you can YT vids of that stove too if curious.

Not the biggest viewing area but it's quite tall. I think it's 13.5 by 13.5 or so.
http://www.harmanstoves.com/Products/300i-Wood-Insert.aspx

They're all good, but not really a game changers. may be I should not fix what is not broken.

Another that is worth considering, despite being only a 3.0 cu ft box, is the Harman 300i. It's not a cat but gets long burn times (12+ hours) with its afterburner technology, and is supposed to be a heat monster. I know some have said it's tricky to get working and you have to be careful with the fragile afterburner (and remove the insert once a year to clean behind the afterburner assembly). All of that said it's still one I personally considered until I realized the sidewall clearances make it a no go for me. It's pretty much the same thing as the Harman TL300 stove minus the top load, so you can YT vids of that stove too if curious.

Not the biggest viewing area but it's quite tall. I think it's 13.5 by 13.5 or so.
http://www.harmanstoves.com/Products/300i-Wood-Insert.aspx
I honestly think the Harman inserts and stoves are some of the worst on the market now. I would never recommend them

I honestly think the Harman inserts and stoves are some of the worst on the market now. I would never recommend them

Whys that? Just wanting to know for future reference.

Whys that? Just wanting to know for future reference.
Their combustion system is overly complicated and delicate. That makes it very hard to learn how to fun properly. As well as difficult and expensive to maintain

Their combustion system is overly complicated and delicate. That makes it very hard to learn how to fun properly. As well as difficult and expensive to maintain

Thanks!

Also their inserts have through bolts on panels that need removed to clean the combustion chamber. This means you need to pull the insert and remove the convective jacket to clean it properly. We have welded the nuts fast on the back of several so they can be maintained reasonably.

Reactions: redktmrider