Reline chimney or buy bigger stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Antiques6753

Feb 6, 2024
Maryland
I have been lurking here for a while and have found the forum very helpful.

I am looking to replace a 40-year old wood insert with a new one. We have an 8 inch stainless steel liner that was installed several years ago. I discovered that most modern inserts require a 6 inch liner. The various companies providing estimates have advised against a reducer. So I feel my choice is to either reline the chimney with a 6 inch liner or purchase a larger wood stove that fits the existing 8 inch liner.

Before finding out about the liner, I was looking at medium sized stoves like the Regency 2450 or Buck Stove 74. For a large stove option that will go with the 8 inch liner, I've been looking at the Buck Stove 91, which I know there are many threads here about. It will fit in the fireplace opening but seems like a monster and I just wonder if it is overkill. We live the mid-Atlantic with sometimes mild winters. The house is a two-story 2500 square feet but the stove is in a 500 square food family room. We generally use the stove on weekend evenings for a few hours when we are gathered around the TV. If not for the existing 8 inch liner, I might not have considered a cat stove as we are not looking for 12 hour burn times or using this as the primary source of heat.

Cost wise, it does seem that buying the larger stove and leaving the 8-inch liner is much less expensive that buying a medium sized stove and new liner. But will I be happy with the larger stove? Can smaller fires be burned in it?

Any thoughts or factors to consider would be appreciated.

How many years was several? Is the liner insulated? How often was the insert used? All questions that would play into my decision.

The liner was replaced 10 years ago. It is not insulated. I was given a qoute of $500 to insulate it. The stove is used one or two nights a weekend in the coldest months of the year (like late November to February).

Tough call. You either get the giant buck and deal with a catalytic stove or install an insulated 6” and get what ever you want. None of those options are cheap.

What is the reason for getting rid of the old insert?

The reasons for replacing the 40 year old stove are mainly looks and efficiency. The old stove has a lot of rust and very small glass. I would like something where you can see the fire better and is a more efficient. Given the reasons for replacing it and how we use, there is definitely a price point I am willing to pay. I'd pay up to $5000 for it, but $7-9 which is what I'm being quoated with a liner replacement doesnt' seem justified. A Buck 91 using the same liner is at least $1000 less than a medium stove and new liner, even not factoring the tax credit for the Buck 91.

Then don't buy a big (8" flue) cat stove (such as the BK King), because you'd heat yourself out of the room if you want to see flame. I.e. you'd have to burn it low, but then the view you wish isn't there (see "black box mode").