80 Pignut Hickory and one Burr Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundchasm

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2011
Dayton, OH
www.soundchasm.com
OK, made you look. Actually, I have to thank the wife for this. She hooked up with Dayton Metro Park organization and they're doing planting to increase diversity for all the right reasons, including the Emerald Ash borer. We harvested Pignut seeds (I guess) from our tree last year, put them through a viability test (floating), and they create these boxes and sprouts. Then we foster them all summer and they get planted in the wild in the fall, or maybe next spring.

We may have "skimmed" the burr oak from last summer's batch of oak (it was the runt). Anyway, this is pretty good for the conscience.

So even though we've lost ten mature trees off the property, I've planted three oaks and some lesser decorative trees. But my wife has kicked my ass with 160. This program with the saplings puts us back on the good side of the equation.

And one day, somebody's kid will pick these up as a real CL score!! IMG_5304.jpgIMG_5303.jpg

To me it seems the trees I've planted do much better than the trees that were here during the house construction.
I think with all the work, tree clearing, holes, ditches, foundations, septic tank & leech fields etc etc...

The growing conditions change drastically for any trees left near the construction. After a few years they start looking sick.

New planted trees develop with the different wind, sun & water conditions & adjust as needed.
The old trees are stressed from all these changes, don't adapt & start having problems.
Tap roots die, other roots have damage, they don't get enough water or get to much ....

If I were to do my lot again, I'd remove most all the trees, put it to grade, then plant new ones after the yard was in :)
Live & learn ::P

hahaha...got me. Good on ya for planting a bunch!

Reactions: Soundchasm
The growing conditions change drastically for any trees left near the construction. After a few years they start looking sick.
The Red Oaks get slaughtered. :(

I like those deep cell plug trays, never seen them before. Strictly for tree seedlings. Have to check my greenhouse supplier for them. That looks like a great project to be involved with. You and your wife must be in accord with each others interests. You're the person with the lone cherry tree right?
You are gonna cut it down? It does look sad all by itself out in the middle of a grass field.

There have been such massive scores posted here, I thought I could get a chuckle and share a feel-good thing. Thanks for all the responses.

I really do wonder what happened to my gang of three in the backyard. The house was built in 55, and I can't imagine a purposeful placement of those three, so they must have come with the lot. I fixed a terrible erosion problem in the back, so who knows what those trees went through. The ones I've planted are all making it, but I hate having to take those old-timers. I must be the guy on the cusp who oversees the generational thing, so I'm trying to take the long view.

I think the cherry has got to come down, but I am dragging my feet on that one, and it's got its own thread.

My wife took a Master Gardener class and I think the tree thing came from those contacts. I'm proud of her.

Status
Not open for further replies.