I Dig Hickory, or, Thank You Squirrels

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Soundchasm

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2011
Dayton, OH
www.soundchasm.com
I wish I could explain how ironic this is. We topped a pignut hickory when we ran out of money to take care of a bunch of trees (2004?). It sprouted a new canopy, but was doomed. By the time I had a change of heart about trees, the hickory was a goner. I gathered seeds and did the float test and tried germinating a bunch of them with zero success.

Then the wife started a reforestation project in the reserve that borders our property. Probably 200 trees at present, to max out at 300 trees over several years.

We've been replacing some of the dead seedlings in the project with seedlings from our yard. I dug six hickory seedlings a few days ago (found 14). Also dug sycamore and sugar maple. 14 seedlings for one effort and got them transplanted. There are too many sugar maple to count. Our property is only one acre and only 1/3 acre is sort of wild.

We also found some sassafras seedlings in the reserve and moved them to the project. Today I moved a larger hickory from a bad spot to a better spot on our property. Didn't get the whole tap root but I got a foot for sure.

Also found two oak seedlings that are adorable. No idea where they came from. They didn't fall where they sprouted. So, here's to squirrels with memory loss or too much food stored!

Right now I'm trying to find out if there is a way to differentiate shagbark hickory seedlings. Would love to have some of those in the mix. Spent the whole summer looking up when I walked the reserve. Now I'm looking down!

DSCN1481.JPG DSCN1482.JPG DSCN1483.JPG DSCN1484.JPG DSCN1485.JPG DSCN1486.JPG DSCN1487.JPG DSCN1488.JPG DSCN1480.JPG

I keep meaning to bring a bunch of doomed oak seedlings out of the woods but forgot again this year.

Wish we did have sassafras around here, I'd grab some of those too! It's not a proper BBQ without some sassafras.

Reactions: Soundchasm
I did some work for someone making a sundial for a natural area and got paid with 10 gallons of acorns. I planted a hundred or so where I wanted the trees to end up and tossed the rest into a stand of poplar. While I had good germination of the 100, two years later none remain. He one tree that I know of that is still going... In the middle of my currant patch in the garden, planted, of course, by a squirrel. It will be transplanted next year along with its neighbor, a black locust.

While I had good germination of the 100, two years later none remain.

Hah! I think I'm spotting a trend!! Great story.

I watched a program the other day where they mention the odds of a Sequoia seed succeeding were one in a million.

I keep meaning to bring a bunch of doomed oak seedlings out of the woods but forgot again this year.

Wish we did have sassafras around here, I'd grab some of those too! It's not a proper BBQ without some sassafras.

I don't do any grilling or smoking, so I'm utterly ignorant. Do you put chips in the coals like I assume with hickory?

When I was a kid, when we visited relatives in KY we'd head out to the woods to dig up 4-5' sassafras trees to bring the roots back to boil for tea. I guess they're saying these days it isn't good for you, but with some sugar it was delicious back then.

I have around 3/4 of a cord of sassafras that I scrounged via Craigslist last summer. I have only had a few fires with it, but I really like the stuff. Splits great, dries really fast, and I get a good burn out of it with large splits. Smells almost as good as white oak too! Oh, and they have by far the best fall color.

I don't do any grilling or smoking, so I'm utterly ignorant. Do you put chips in the coals like I assume with hickory?

When I was a kid, when we visited relatives in KY we'd head out to the woods to dig up 4-5' sassafras trees to bring the roots back to boil for tea. I guess they're saying these days it isn't good for you, but with some sugar it was delicious back then.

I take a fresh small branch or three with some leaves on them and put it right in the fire, then close the lid and let it smoke. No wood processing or drying involved. It tastes great. Also nice for cooking meat on an open fire.

sassafras not good for you? well modern medics think not but do not argue it with folks over 80, particularly if farm folks. ( those same medics feed ya rat poison ( warfarin = coumadin) for high blood pressure, so draw your own conclusions.

You and I are going to be close friends. I need a lot of work done.

How many acorns do you charge to split a cord of firewood?
I did the math for them, so here ya go... You + 1 cord to be split = me drinking a delicious IPA. This one is gratis! Enjoy!