8x8 pine beams?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wellbuilt home

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2008
NY
I have about 20 8x8x14' long beams in my truck . They are 70 year old pine, I was going to give them to a guy to put up in his living room but he has no place to store them , So they are still in the truck . I was going to take them to the dump in the morning but i could cut them and burn them . The beams where stained but do not have a finish . I cant see them doing any harm if i burn them . If i had a old stove i would go for it. what do you guys think .

Agreed. That's at least $500 worth of prime timber there. It would be a crime to take them to the dump. Craigslist or local pennysaver newsletter is what I would try.

If I lived close to you, I'd sure try to talk you out of some/ all of them! I could build up quite a fancy woodshed from those. It would be a crime to burn them IMO. Craig's List!

Where in NY are you?

Agreed those beams are way to good to burn...or dump.

What is wrong with you eastern fellows?

You can burn softwoods including pine. It burns quite well. It doesn't fill your chimney with creosote if you bring it near your woodstove.

Your crazy if you burn that lot though.

"What is wrong with you eastern fellows? You can burn softwoods including pine."

I think you are almost right. Of course you can burn pine, but I would not burn that pine if it's stained. Quite toxic.

Last year I gutted my bedroom and raised the ceiling. Cut some studs down that were 85 years old and untreated. I burned some of these scraps (1-3 feet long) last year and will burn more this year. Old lumber like that will go up if you sneeze on it . . . it's great.

I would either use them for another project, sell them, or sand the stain off (although that maybe not be realistic and worth it for pine).

Huge generalization I know but sheesh.
I'd be more upset that I used the word fellows.

Sorry guys , the beams are burning great . I made 3 small fires in my new equinox and on the 3rd fire i added a 8x8 x20 chunk and it burns sweet. The fire burned about 5 hours and the stove was warm in the A.M . the wood is very dry so i cant add to much . I really wanted to use the logs on a job but no one needed them now ,and no one wanted to store them till spring. My new stove burns great .

Status
Not open for further replies.