A bigger ceiling fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

struggle

Minister of Fire
Oct 24, 2006
NW Iowa
It has been a while since I looked at ceiling fans and since our Casablanca one has been having issues with the electronics I looked last night at fans at Menard's. I ended up buying a Hunter 60" fan with a remote. I must say this larger fan noticeable moves more air and shows on the box 3,500+ cfm on the medium setting.

I have it hooked up and running and I can say that I am impressed with it. Cost was $210.

I thought hearth people might be interested in these bigger fans for moving air around better. I can say I am looking forward to how much better it will work.

I am in no way affiliated with this company FYI.

I was considering sending in the Casablanca fan back to the factory (out of warranty many years ago) but they charged us $100 a few years ago to refurbish another fan in a living room but I had to eat shipping cost and since I am sure the cost most likely has gone up on that it only made sense to replace the fan. Casablanca fans are extremely expensive in the world of ceiling fans so it seems to me. Our house had them when we bought it and I was going to replace the upstairs living room fan as it was getting noisy and the cost to replace the fan itself was something like $6-700 and then you had to purchase other things in addition to that so that so that is how I new about the refurbishing them. The basement fan was not as fancy/decorative so it is gone now.

My free $0.02 get the big 60" fan

That's good info, and thanks. Our 52" suddenly popped and started blowing sparks a couple of weeks ago, so we are in the market for a new one. Was going to go for the 52" but will look for a larger one based on your advice.

It's been interesting not having the fan... certainly proves how much we need one!

Sounds like good information. Just be aware that larger worked better for you and obviously fit to the room size and situation in your house. This may not be the case for everyone. Depends on lots of factors like ceiling heights, room size and volume of air you want to move. Lots of factors to evaluate for each specific situation. Bigger is not always better in every case.

A lower RPM fan speed "should" equate to the same air movement as your smaller diameter fan at a higher speed. Meaning, you might be able to slow it down and get less noise from it due to the larger blades.

We've got the big fan and can actually use the low low setting to stir the room air. I am pretty sure it's a 60" model. How was the install? Did you use drop rods?

Highbeam said:
A lower RPM fan speed "should" equate to the same air movement as your smaller diameter fan at a higher speed. Meaning, you might be able to slow it down and get less noise from it due to the larger blades.

We've got the big fan and can actually use the low low setting to stir the room air. I am pretty sure it's a 60" model. How was the install? Did you use drop rods?

Install went easy on the fan and it came with a small down rod like 3" and I used that. Our basement ceiling finished is 8'6". It is just slightly lower than the other fan was but is no where near hitting ones head to the lights or of any concern for that. If I mounted it flush it would have been at the same drop the original fan was so a little drop will move more air I figured.

I like the remote as before we had to walk to the other side of the room to turn the light on so that is nice. It also dims if one wants with the remote. The fan at high speed does not wobble at all, so no balancing was needed.

I have the fan on medium now and you can feel more air movement than the other fan would create. I am sure it would be like you said on low would be equivalent to medium on the other fan.

I just brought it up as I know moving air with a stove is a huge benefit. Obviously this might not be the best in a small room but I like feeling the air move and have always though the 52" in the upper medium speed range were noisy and this fan seems to be dead quite on medium and is moving quite a bit of air.

Detector$ It is still not working. But ya thay are some BIG A$$ fans.

I wouldn't buy a ceiling fan unless it was made by Hunter. There is a huge difference in the build quality and overall efficiency, not to mention the sound level. Every one also has a lifetime motor warranty, even the cheap ones.

Chris

The bigger the fan the more air moved and the slower you can run thus saving power.
But, some of these fans use quite a bit of energy. Something to consider when you might be running it 24/7
There are some energy star models out but they are hard to find. Last time I was in Homer's Depot I could not find one. I might have to special order one from my local lighting shop.

I also have a 60" Hunter fan and it moves a lot of air, quietly. Low speed moves more air than med. or high on smaller models. Hunter makes a nice fan and a the remote is nice, but I did have to go back to standard bulbs in the light kit on the fan due to RF interference with compact florecent bulbs.

Garett

Status
Not open for further replies.