A Class Chimney question. Straight but tall above roof or offset in attic?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rnettleship

Nov 4, 2021
New Jersey, USA
I am interested in swapping out a Heatilator, see-through gas fireplace for a wood burner. My home is a cape style with no dormers on the back of the house. The existing unit sits between our living room and kitchen and is only 6 feet from the back wall of the house. Existing direct vent pipe goes straight up through the roof. Roof pitch is 8/12.

Based on what I read, to maintain proper clearances above the roof I would need A Class pipe to be approximately 104" tall. Other than the aesthetics of having such a tall chimney, are there concerns regarding how it would draft? It would not extend higher than the homes ridge but be close.

My other thought would be do run more of the chimney in my attic, towards the peak but that would require at least 3, 30 degree offsets and still have at least 6' feet exposed above the roof.

Do either of these approaches sound reasonable or effective?

Nettleship_Heatilator.jpg

Is the current heatilator position your only option for a wood stove? Anything more centralized seem reasonable?

The attic offset is ok as long as it is supported with hangers. I'm puzzled about the need for 3 instead of two 30º elbows. Offsets require 2 elbows of the same angle.

The attic offset is ok as long as it is supported with hangers. I'm puzzled about the need for 3 instead of two 30º elbows. Offsets require 2 elbows of the same angle.
I don't have a straight shot to the peak so I would need to angle around the current chase. I guess maybe I could cut diagonally both upward and towards the side of the house