A couple liner install questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burn-1

Feeling the Heat
Jul 13, 2006
Lakes Region, NH
I finally get the time to install my new liner tomorrow and think I have most of what I need to do sorted out. I had a couple issues/questions I would appreciate any advice or opinions on.

The first is that I have a relatively short chimney. It's about 15 feet exactly from the flue outlet on the PE Vista to the top of the flue. I'm working on a budget but still trying to cover all of the bases. I didn't have enough money to get an insulation kit but I was able to get some unfaced 1/2" ceramic insulation for a good price. I am going to insulate from above the damper to about 1 foot before the top plate. I couldn't find any stainless steel mesh locally so I'm going to use galvanized chicken wire although I'm hoping it won't be too stiff.

I was wondering if I could put some regular aluminum foil between the galvanized chicken wire and the unfaced ceramic insulation to better reflect the heat back to the liner or if that's overkill. Would there be too much galvanic potential between the zinc and the aluminum foil?

The other thing is that the stainless 15 degree elbow that the liner will mate with has 4 rivets which come with it. Must I use these or can I just use sheet metal screws to connect it to the liner.

Edit: FWIW this is an interior chimney

Burn-1 said:
I finally get the time to install my new liner tomorrow and think I have most of what I need to do sorted out. I had a couple issues/questions I would appreciate any advice or opinions on.

The first is that I have a relatively short chimney. It's about 15 feet exactly from the flue outlet on the PE Vista to the top of the flue. I'm working on a budget but still trying to cover all of the bases. I didn't have enough money to get an insulation kit but I was able to get some unfaced 1/2" ceramic insulation for a good price. I am going to insulate from above the damper to about 1 foot before the top plate. I couldn't find any stainless steel mesh locally so I'm going to use galvanized chicken wire although I'm hoping it won't be too stiff.

I was wondering if I could put some regular aluminum foil between the galvanized chicken wire and the unfaced ceramic insulation to better reflect the heat back to the liner or if that's overkill. Would there be too much galvanic potential between the zinc and the aluminum foil?

The other thing is that the stainless 15 degree elbow that the liner will mate with has 4 rivets which come with it. Must I use these or can I just use sheet metal screws to connect it to the liner.

Why insulate the liner down there? Put a block off plate just below the damper area and lay the insulation on top of the damper plate. Also stuff a foot or two's worth around the liner at the top of the chimney under the top plate. You can prolly use the screws, but if its a manufacturers system ( the liner) you might want to stcik with the rivets. Make sure to use stainless steel. Nix the tin foil & chicken wire and just use the ceramic insulation on top of the block off plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.