Installing new liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

IowaHuntr

May 22, 2022
Iowa
I am planning to install my new 316ti liner this weekend in my exterior masonry chimney. I am adding a section of liner (about 5’) below the tee to extend down to my exterior Cleanout door. I still need to wrap it with the 1/2” insulation blanket. My question is, do I need to insulate that section of liner below the tee? As well as the tee itself? Or would it be ok to just insulate from the top of the tee up? Also, how crucial is the wire mesh on the outside of the insulation?, as I’m afraid it will snag on the rough edges of mortar inside my chimney. (I removed the old clay liner to make room for the new one). Thanks in advance!
Happy burning!

I am planning to install my new 316ti liner this weekend in my exterior masonry chimney. I am adding a section of liner (about 5’) below the tee to extend down to my exterior Cleanout door. I still need to wrap it with the 1/2” insulation blanket. My question is, do I need to insulate that section of liner below the tee? As well as the tee itself? Or would it be ok to just insulate from the top of the tee up? Also, how crucial is the wire mesh on the outside of the insulation?, as I’m afraid it will snag on the rough edges of mortar inside my chimney. (I removed the old clay liner to make room for the new one). Thanks in advance!
Happy burning!
No there really is no reason to insulate below the tee

Reactions: IowaHuntr
I believe the mesh is to ensure the insulation does not get stuck and rip when installing the liner. I understand your concern about the mesh snagging but personally I would not go without it. I am installing a pre-insulated liner myself to hopefully make it easier.

Reactions: IowaHuntr
I believe the mesh is to ensure the insulation does not get stuck and rip when installing the liner. I understand your concern about the mesh snagging but personally I would not go without it. I am installing a pre-insulated liner myself to hopefully make it easier.
Thanks, I’m hopeful I can get the insulation wrapped tight enough to give me enough clearance to add the mesh. I thought maybe, if needed, I could run some flashing down the chimney to make a smooth path for the liner and then pull flashing out once liner is installed. I’m probably being overly cautious but want to avoid any issues. Thanks!

Thanks, I’m hopeful I can get the insulation wrapped tight enough to give me enough clearance to add the mesh. I thought maybe, if needed, I could run some flashing down the chimney to make a smooth path for the liner and then pull flashing out once liner is installed. I’m probably being overly cautious but want to avoid any issues. Thanks!
The mesh gives you something to pull on that’s not the liner. The foil insulation will snag and rip off. I think the mesh offers some degree of protection (not much but it’s something). Do you have any bends you are installing through??

I have one small offer. Less than 12
Inches over 4 or 5 vertical feet and it took two oeoole
Up too and one pulling from the bottom to get it through.

The mesh gives you something to pull on that’s not the liner. The foil insulation will snag and rip off. I think the mesh offers some degree of protection (not much but it’s something). Do you have any bends you are installing through??

I have one small offer. Less than 12
Inches over 4 or 5 vertical feet and it took two oeoole
Up too and one pulling from the bottom to get it through.
It’s a straight run of 17 feet. I cut a block the size of my insulated liner and plan to do a practice run down the chimney with that to foresee any tight spots or snags that I may be able to address before stuffing the liner in. I’ll likely attach a rope to the bottom of the mesh and drop down to have something to pull in from the bottom. Thanks!

Reactions: EbS-P