A couple of recent fires in NH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Five killed 10 years ago in CT from hot embers placed in a paper bag and on a wooden porch.

Before the inspector comes for my stove install ....stop at Lowe's and bag up some 10 year smoke and CO detectors.

Last edited by a moderator:
We put ash in a old timey metal trash can with a tight lid, but its just the 2 of us. I could see some un knowing family member seeing a garbage can and using it to throw the McDonalds bag in to....of course leaving the lid loose.

It's important for people to be educated about stuff like this. Years ago we hired a cleaning lady, and one of the first things she did was to scoop all the ashes out of the fireplace straight into the trash and put the trash out in the (rather combustible) barn. Thankfully the fire had been out for a few days. When I realized what had happened, I called her and explained in the calmest voice I could that she had been this close to burning our house down. She had no idea. She apologized profusely and never touched the fireplace or stove after that.

Reactions: clancey