A couple pics of my Osburn 2400I install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Blueox4

Nov 20, 2017
Syracuse, NY area
2C35695C-2228-4A80-9721-3963D90987A5.jpeg 241FFF9C-DD82-46E0-B628-C63C05642D23.jpeg 7BDAF1FA-8A67-4853-A7E3-31C5DA4D17B1.jpeg

Just completed installing my Osburn 2400 insert and it went really well. Hardest part was cutting the damper out. I left the existing flue tiles in the chimney and ran 5.5” stainless liner. Osburn gives their OK on the 5.5” liner also. I really want to thank the forum members here for all the helpful information that got me to this point. I’ve got to learn how to run the stove properly and continue getting more wood up but this forum is great and a wealth of information. Here’s a couple pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update. Gonna be a whole lot of heating going on there this winter.

Heckuva good heater for the money spent. Good luck with her.

Reactions: Blueox4
So question... you have insulation packed right up against the insert. Why? And is that to code?
It is not against code unless the manufacturers instructions say not to. But I don't recommend stuffing insulation tight around it

My friend has the exact unit.it kicks ass.

So question... you have insulation packed right up against the insert. Why? And is that to code?
Just to elaborate on the insulation, That appears to be K-wool which is a ceramic type made for high heat conditions <2400deg f , rock wool is rated to about 1800 deg f, steel plate will glow starting around 900 deg f with a melting point of 2,500deg f. Most woodstove fires will measure an average of 550-800deg f on the outside of the steel plating right in front of the flue collar.
Many people in colder climates with an existing masonry fireplace thats located on the outside envelope of there home like to insulate the insert space to keep the masonry from absorbing heat produced by the insert, an insert is more or less a steel wood stove with a steel jacket around it, so there's no harm or foul if the insulation is fire rated and rests against the outside jacket (the air from the blower will run in-between the stove metal and the jacket from the bottom then the back and over the top.
It is highly recommend when installing an insert to install a metal block off plate above in the smoke chamber area of the masonry fireplace, this keep the heat from going up between the liner and chimney, this adds performance to the stove, also keeps a draft from occuring when the stove isn't being used since cold air sinks (again between the actual metal liner and the masonry part of the chimney) Some go the extra mile and lay insulation (fire proof) on top of the block off plate before fastening it shut.

Last edited:
Very nice. What size is your existing flue?