A door adjustment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeheat

Minister of Fire
Well I have a BIS Wood stove and have been at battle for a while with the rate at which the fire burns and control over the air.Finally talked to the right guy that trouble shot my stove and was spot on. The door was out of adjustment and was letting additional air in and overriding anthing I could control. OK so the adjustments made now I have questions and what better place the here. I now cant get a flue temp over 300 Is this ok? I used to run 500 + and thought that was normal. The fire seems lazy , Im going to try some very dry wood see what happens. Everything I have been burning is 18-19 months seasoned ash and oak.

Get a moisture meter, then you will know for sure if at optimum moisture content ( note needs to be thawed out when checked). Even at 19 months a lot of times oak is not dry enough. Ash could be, lot of variables. If you bought the wood from some supplier chances are it is not dry enough. Split some of the ash down to 2x2 size bring inside for a few days then try it. Another point if you are bringing in wood from out side directly to the stove, that refrigerated wood takes a fair amount of time to warm up all the way through and in the process cools your fire considerably.

Well it took a while but I was able to get the flue up to 400. This Is like running like a dream and the "after burn" is awsome

Ok New problem. Glass is dirty after 6 hours of burn time the guy stove guy said the glass should stay clean, Have darker spots on the glass in the corners , No air leaks that I can tell. Any suggestions would help.

Hard to say but I can only guess that the wood is not as dry as thought or that the fire is being choked down to much. Try running the next fire with a little more air and see if that helps.

BeGreen said:
Hard to say but I can only guess that the wood is not as dry as thought or that the fire is being choked down to much. Try running the next fire with a little more air and see if that helps.
I have ran it choked down trying to get even flue temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.