A few observations and questions from install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spadafore

Sep 4, 2008
northwest ohio
Well I finally got my stove installed yesterday, almost. It seems the company that did it ordered the wrong chimney cap, go figure. There are a few things that I noticed that worried me. You guys can correct me if I am wrong. First, I had Metalbestos pipe existing so they ordered the rest of the parts that I needed to complete the install. They showed up with Simpson parts. I thought two different brands are a no no on an install. Also the support box in the ceiling is touching the sheeting on the roof. I thought it needed two inches to combustibles. I questioned the guy on that and he said the two inches of clearence is satisfied within the support box. The chimney cap they ordered would have worked if the class a pipe was Simpson I'm guessing. I also think the support box they used was not correct. They used the round support box which I thought was only to be used on a flat ceiling passing from first two second floor. I believe they should have used a finished ceiling support box or cathedral roof support box. I hope I'm wrong as they are the installers and I am just the guy paying for the service.

The part of this I can answer is the 2 inches of clearance is for the chimney pipe to combustibles, and that is satisfied inside the support box. The box itself can touch the sheeting, its the inside that counts.

if simpson and metalbestos parts were mixed, that is wrong. Must all be the same

Simpson and Metalbestos shouldn't be able to interlock anyway. Simpson and Selkirk have different designs.

As for the additional hardware, Selkirk told me that if you don't use parts that are specifically listed in the manual for the line of Class-A that you're using, you will void their warranty. This goes for supports, straps, flashings, etc... too, no just the pipe sections. I wanted to use a roof support for metalbestos with my super-pro chimney. They are both made by Selkirk, and the one for metalbestos was a better part. I liked the design and construction of it better. Selkirk told me it was a no-go, and that I had to use the one listed in the Super-Pro manual.

Is your ceiling flat or vaulted? I don't think it's possible to use a flat ceiling support on a vaulted/cathedral ceiling. The angled ceiling makes in necessary to have a support box with some height to it. Since you say that it was tall enough to be touching the roof sheeting, it sounds like the box they used was OK, as long as it was listed in the metalbestos manual as being compatible.

-SF

I'm not sure exactly what support they used, but I'm willing to bet it was a Simpson brand. It looks like the pipe sat in the box O.K. I'm wondering how many inches the support box has at a minimum to be under the finished ceiling or drywall. The installers are from a very repitable company local to my town. Maybe they too should have joined Hearth.com for the information that is available here. Actually now that I think about it the support had to be a Simpson product as the trim piece for the support box still sits in a box that is marked with Simpson. It looks like the stove pipe is also Simpson as it too is still in the box.

EDIT My ceiling is pitched very slightly.

Pictures would help us see what you are concerned about. Is that possible or no camera?

I'll see what I can do. May take a couple days.

<>I’m wondering how many inches the support box has at a minimum to be under the finished ceiling or drywall<>

I'd say it depends on the manufacturer's specs based on what UL or W-H tested it to. We use Excel & the spec is a minimum of 3" below the ceiling, be it Drywall, Knotty-Pine or whatever...
Excel's support box CAN touch the roof sheathing. Their support box comes flat (at the top), per se, but can be cut to any angle required to match the roof sheathing...

Status
Not open for further replies.