A few Wood Stove Insert basic questions - any help?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amin1992

Feeling the Heat
Oct 9, 2019
PA, USA
Hey guys. If you've seen my posts here, I've decide to keep my wood stove insert (Heatilator ECO WINS 18) and will be getting the correct liner installed this year - woo hoo!

I am just messing around and learning about the unit between now and August, and have some questions I'm hoping you can help me out with.

For one, I plan to sweep it myself yearly. Directly below the opening of the flue to the firebox are two baffle boards, and a blanket. I have the manual which explains how to properly line these up. However, after removing the blanket and the boards to "sweep" (just going through the motions for practice), I cannot for the life of me push the blanket back to the back of the box and flat. Is there a trick here?

Second, there are free moving, floating "firebricks" in my firebox that the manual shows how to properly align. I have them configured in there, but not sure how much space should be between the bricks? Previous owner left a quarter of an inch between each and there is a thick layer of ash in between there up to the brick surface. Is that okay? Or should they be pushed together tightly?

That's all I have for now. Thanks for humoring my questions and helping me learn

The bricks should be pushed together, you’ll need to remove them and clean out the ashes. As for the baffle, it’s unlikely you’ll find anyone on here that has much experience with this stove. You might get lucky though. ?

The bricks should be pushed together, you’ll need to remove them and clean out the ashes. As for the baffle, it’s unlikely you’ll find anyone on here that has much experience with this stove. You might get lucky though. ?
There are a few Heatilator WINS owners here, both the 18 and 22. Have you tried taping the blanket to the baffle's back edge in a couple of spots before installing so that it can be installed as one unit? If you use masking tape it will just burn off.

There are a few Heatilator WINS owners here, both the 18 and 22. Have you tried taping the blanket to the baffle's back edge in a couple of spots before installing so that it can be installed as one unit? If you use masking tape it will just burn off.

Great idea. I'm going to mess around again and try it out thanks

Probably shouldn't be saying this, but if it were me I would forget to reinstall the stupid blanket.
Blanket keeps more heat in the reburn section, helps it to burn better. Big negatory on not installing it..

Reactions: begreen and Mech e
Blanket keeps more heat in the reburn section, helps it to burn better. Big negatory on not installing it..
Yep, shouldn't have said that. The thought of driving to the bay area this week put me out of sorts.

The thought of driving to the bay area this week put me out of sorts.
You're not afraid of a little heavy traffic and a couple of 'quakes, are ya? ;) Say 'hi' to my niece. ==c

Reactions: Mech e