A hard lesson learned

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodpileOCD

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2011
Central NC
Here are some pictures of a pile of willow oak that I cut into rounds about a year and a half ago. I made the mistake of not splitting them when I got them home. I have never had wood rot like this in such a short period of time. They weigh nothing split like paper and have a fungus that has completely penetrated to the core. Useless as firewood. I'll probably end up burning them in my open pit this spring / summer.

Here is a link to identification of the willow oak. I'm sure it would have been fine c/s/s so if you get any of this get it off the ground ASAP.

http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/quph.html

Dumb ol' Boy..... :red:

Attachments

• wood rotted-1.jpg
    wood rotted-1.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 529
  • wood rotted-2.jpg
    wood rotted-2.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 540
yeah i think if i was going to stack it , it would have to be split 1st

Lynch said:
yeah i think if i was going to stack it , it would have to be split 1st

Yep, and I 'spect letting it sit directly on the ground greatly accelerated the decay process. Too bad. That could have been some good BTUs.

Judging by the fungi growing all over that wood I doubt splitting it wood have made much difference, I've seen split wood go bad like that too. I'm sure stacking it up off the ground and covering the top would have made a big difference though.

Sucks seeing it go to waste. I am now on a mission to cut trees and process the wood as soon as possible. I am also cleaning all the splitter trash up as I go. I will have no mess nor would the neighborhood permit it. Anything that is remotely close to being punky or rotten gets thrown out...

Stuff happens...live and learn.

Split it and whatever doesn't crumble, use it. It will still give off some heat. Could use it in the warmer weather when you don't need as much heat.

I mix some maple like that in all the time. I scrounged a cord like that this year burns ok for what it is. I done have a back yard to dump it in.
And I hate to waste anything.

I'll try burning some and see what I get. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.