A little nippy here this morning.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Johnson

Mod Emeritus
Nov 18, 2005
Central NYS
It was -6 here in the Mohawk Valley and -18 up north where I work. The boiler is cooking away.

Willhound, you live in an abandoned missile silo to keep warm? That is seriously cold.

Someday maybe, but apart from the cold, we don't suffer from earthquakes, tsunami's, hurricanes or tornado's, so all in all it's pretty good.

People tend to live a little longer too,....but I think it's because they're frozen about half the time, so don't wear out ! ;-)

Willhound

OK, you got me Willhound.

The coldest I've seen up north is about -40, but the old timers still talk about the late '70s when it hit 50 below.

Say, Willhound, you want to keep the brass monkey inside in weather like that!

The brass monkey and everything else! Even the dog is pretty quick about going outside for her duty and then run right back in.

This is just the prelude. Most years we're good for at least 10 days to 2 weeks of solid -40 in January-early February. With wind chill it is quite often down into the -50's.

Like my Dad always says, "Good thing we didn't know about wind chill when we were kids, or we would have been cold !"

Willhound

Eric Johnson said:
It was -6 here in the Mohawk Valley and -18 up north where I work. The boiler is cooking away.

Only about 9 degrees here in western mass, and I took the dog for a snowshoe run through the woods.

Warm and balmy....sunny, and I'm sweating!

2 above in the pocono's early today, nice afternoon though, feels great in the sun, damm cold in the shade

10 below here in northern Vermont, but I heard it was 24 below about 25 miles away. Looks like it will be colder tonight.
Stay warm,
Reggie

Eric, do you work in Old Forge?

Sure do, Reggie. I edit The Northern Logger magazine.

Status
Not open for further replies.