A "Poor-Man's" Block Off Plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't a poor mans block off plate a piece of sheet metal to hold it. Its cheap. If you just stick the insulation up there, I would think over time it could get loose and dry from heat and fall down. To me a piece of sheet metal is just a little more work, not hardly any money to speak of. I do understand the desire to want to use a stove but if you have been paying for heat via electric or gas whats a few more days.

NCredneck said:
Isn't a poor mans block off plate a piece of sheet metal to hold it. Its cheap. If you just stick the insulation up there, I would think over time it could get loose and dry from heat and fall down. To me a piece of sheet metal is just a little more work, not hardly any money to speak of. I do understand the desire to want to use a stove but if you have been paying for heat via electric or gas whats a few more days.

Sorry, the expression "poor man's" in this instance really has nothing to do with cost.

The installers refuse to put in the plate but will put in some Roxul. So I posed a question to the forum regarding this idea.

The expression "poor man's" really refers to the quality of the Roxul alone vs. the Roxul and the block off plate together

http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/a+poor+man's+something.html

Dan

mhrischuk said:
So we need to figure out a way to seal it off and create a vacuum!

I actually thought about doing that to my floor, but I was afraid it would be too much trouble to seal it. My plan was to paint the wood with epoxy resin and then put vacuum bag material on the bottom of the joists. Hook a vacuum pump to it and pull may 10-15 inches of vacuum with a reservoir at 29 inches so the pump could cycle on an off once a day or so.

I use vacuum pumps almost daily and they are interesting.

My vacuum drying wood idea is better.

karl said:
mhrischuk said:
So we need to figure out a way to seal it off and create a vacuum!

I actually thought about doing that to my floor, but I was afraid it would be too much trouble to seal it. My plan was to paint the wood with epoxy resin and then put vacuum bag material on the bottom of the joists. Hook a vacuum pump to it and pull may 10-15 inches of vacuum with a reservoir at 29 inches so the pump could cycle on an off once a day or so.

I use vacuum pumps almost daily and they are interesting.

My vacuum drying wood idea is better.

My head hurts!

Status
Not open for further replies.