A year's worth of heat in one tree?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Funnyfarm

Jan 8, 2009
Eastern Iowa
Dropped this little guy today. I didn't measure it, but I'm 6'5" to put it in perspective. Should make a pretty good dent in my 2010-11 heating needs.

Attachments

• bft1.jpg
    bft1.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 614
  • bft2.jpg
    bft2.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 578
Poplar, ash? If it is poplar it is an awful lot of work, hope it is close to the house! Aw heck, I would take it either way, who am I kidding! :lol:

Excellent job dropping that with an 18" bar. Like you said, I don't think you could have done it with that bar if the tree had been solid.

Funnyfarm said:
It's oak, and I'm actually glad it's hollow or I would have never attempted it with my 18" bar.

That's a good size oak for sure.. Lots of heat potential! Let us know how much cordage you get from that tree... Did carpenter ants hollow out that tree? I have a couple large oaks near my house that are on their way out and figure I could get around 3 cords from them..

Ray

Hey Funnyfarm, welcome to the forum.

Looks like that old bugger really needed to come down. No doubt it was either in a fence row or the edge of a woods. Sad to say, we've cut many like that and that is where you can get by with the shorter bar. You will smile next winter as you are keeping your bottom warm and thinking back to when you cut that big old oak.

I took one that size with a little less rot. I think I ended up with 3 to 3 1/2 full cord? Going from memory. Get it split soon cause it takes a long time to season. If you split it and let the sun and wind blow thru it will be ok this winter, better next...

I've cut up a few Doug Firs that were 3+ cord - 70-80 year old trees. That's about a year's worth of burning for me, but getting trees like that is pretty rare. Looks like you'll get a couple cord out of that tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.