? about DVL stove pipe adapter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd 2

Feeling the Heat
Sep 17, 2012
NE Ohio
Instructions show to screw the DVL stove adapter to the A collar of the stove, however there are no screw holes in the adapter or the porcelain coated cast A collar on the stove. ? is drill through the lower exposed A collar and catch the crimped pipe inside or move up higher on the adapter and go through outer stove pipe wall, porcelain/cast and crimp and not crush in with screws.
OR not needed if all other sections above are screwed on a straight up system.
I have drilled cast before but how does the porcelain coating react to a drill bit ?

Thanks, Todd adapter1.jpg

Mine isn't screwed to the stove, used it that way on both stoves I've had it on.

Vertical install you say? Do not screw into stove. Do put screws into the telescoping section to fix the length. I also do not screw into the ceiling support box since there is nothing to screw into except the snap in adapter.

Reactions: DexterDay
Mine isn't screwed to the stove, used it that way on both stoves I've had it on.
No, don't drill anything. Just snug it into place.
Vertical install you say? Do not screw into stove. Do put screws into the telescoping section to fix the length. I also do not screw into the ceiling support box since there is nothing to screw into except the snap in adapter.
Thanks Guys, them were the answers I was wanting to hear. With screws in the telescoping pc and filler pc theres no way for it to come out of the stove collar on a vertical system.

With Simpson, you must screw to the top and bottom section of DVL, and also in the adjustable section. The adapter to the stove? Not needed. But I did use furnace cement because of how loose and sloppy it was. Lots of air leaks there.

Read the Manufactures instructions and follow what they say and where to screw what. Your Insurance agent or inspector will be reading that manual and using it as his guide.

Dex, how do you screw the top of the DVL to the adapter? I don't think there is any mention of this in the docs.

Reactions: Highbeam
Dex, how do you screw the top of the DVL to the adapter? I don't think there is any mention of this in the docs.

Exactly. There is this snap in stainless ring that attaches quite firmly to the DVL. That adapter ring pokes up into teh ceiling box, no way to screw it, no way to attach it with screws.

I passed two inspections without screws at top or at stove and even asked the inspector to be sure. He says, "there's nothing to screw?"

Exactly. There is this snap in stainless ring that attaches quite firmly to the DVL. That adapter ring pokes up into teh ceiling box, no way to screw it, no way to attach it with screws.

I passed two inspections without screws at top or at stove and even asked the inspector to be sure. He says, "there's nothing to screw?"

thats the old close clearance connector.\
the new one is longer and comes with an outer dvl pipe adapter, that gets screwed to the ceiling support box.

thats the old close clearance connector.\
the new one is longer and comes with an outer dvl pipe adapter, that gets screwed to the ceiling support box.
The new style one for the box is the one Im waiting for the dealer to get in. He did say it is different and improved over the old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.