About to build first fire of the year.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twocycle

Dec 1, 2014
Mississippi
I had 6" insulated stainless liner installed the day after Thanksgiving 2014. I have a Buck Stove insert, non cat. I had the pipe "brushed" the day after Thanksgiving this year. I burn only seasoned wood, and I burn hot fires. I even bought the magnetic flush mount thermometer and the "pistol" IT to make sure I'm doing it right. I might have gotten a double handful of "crumbs" out of my pipe last Friday, which I think is good. I used a lot of good info from this site. However, I am still a little gun-shy on chimney fires & a runaway fire. One time last year, on a load of very small, dry splits, it got to 700 degrees, and I did get a little spooked. I keep telling myself, as far as chimney fires go, that if the pipe is clean, that means there is nothing up there to catch on fire. I guess I am looking for a little re-assurement that I'm doing it right, before my first fire tonight.

Keep an eye and get comfortable with your setup. Takes time you'll get used to it. Just don't get complacent.

It's smart to be cautious with fire especially when its in your house. 700 is fine so don't sweat it :). If, IYO you can't control the fire (wants to run away) then its a cause for concern.

How do you know how hot it is?

Where do you put your thermometer? Does it go right next to the output, or on the top of the 6'' tube?

How do you know how hot it is?

Where do you put your thermometer? Does it go right next to the output, or on the top of the 6'' tube?
I have the surface mount magnetic thermometer on the front of the stove, directly above the door. I scan the entire face of the stove with the IT & the hottest reading is what I go by, wherever it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.