About to join the boiler crowd..advice appreciated

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan has a point, unless you can get it elevated enough to not worry about future water situations.
Our doorway was about 30" also, I had to remove all packaging and used ropes tied onto the legs to guide it in at a tilt to clear the header. Managed to put a small scratch on it but no biggie. The cost of insulated unerground lines and the convenience of indoor location were the main reasons for going into the unfinished basement. Really nice when in my skivvies 1st thing in the morning but carrying the wood down 4 steps weekly is a drag.

Well....it has arrived....
IMG_20130703_153627.jpg

And I put it just ouside of the garage. After seeing it, I don't think I want to try and get it in the basement, even with a backhoe. It will cost more to put it in the garage, but I'm not going to run it as an on-demand, so I'll only had to load it once or twice per burn. The bonus is that the garage is closer to the wood (I was standing at the garage door in the above picture) and it will keep all of the dust and soot out in the garage. Additionally, they forgot to include the smoke hood (my fault for changing my order after the deposit was placed) so instead of trying to sort that out, the garage will be the location! The water in the basement doesn't ever get more then perhaps a half an inch, unless we have a hurricane and power outage, but everything of "value" down there I put on 4" cinder blocks to raise them off the floor. The bonus to the basement would be the pre-existing chimney (less cost) and no need to bring the pipes into the house.

So....Here is my new wood boiler. Still on the pallet and wrapped, now with a tarp tied over it due to the amount of rain we've been having. Gotta clean up the garage and get it sort of in place. Any hints on how to get it off of the pallet? lol

IMG_20130703_153654.jpg

Hopefully it has legs and you can slide a 4x4 under there over a cinderblock on the other side, use it as a lever, lift up, remove pallet, and lower back down. Use a couple of bottle jacks or an automotive floor jack if necessary too.

Mine is still on the pallet in my garage as well.

It only has to go up half an inch or so.

That's a great idea, I have a couple of floor jacks...the small one is 1 ton, and the big one 4 ton, so it shouldn't be an issue to lift the unit.

I was unwrapping the furnace to show it off, and found a couple of issues. The first one is on the cyclone. It looks like when they put it on the pallet they bent the latch that holds the drawer into the cyclone. It doesn't look like it occurred in shipping since the plastic straps that hold the cyclone down don't have any other marks on them (like they were hit by something) and they are over the metal of the strap. I have an e-mail in on this to see what they want to do.

IMG_20130704_141207.jpg

Second, the cement sealer in the compartment with the firetubes is falling off, right where the firetubes and the metal come together (I can see some insulation there, so I see why it's there). When I opened the door, a big chunk was missing and had fallen down. Not sure why this would have happened:

IMG_20130704_141145.jpg

They've been great with me so far on working out problems, so I don't expect this will be an issue. Lots of people have a long weekend, so I don't expect to hear back from them on it till next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.