absolute steel max burn times?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LumberCity

Nov 8, 2019
central pa
I feel like this must have been discussed in a thread at some point but I'll be damned if I can't find it through the search feature. Anyways, I've come across several posts covering how the ideal steel can be ran ultra low for 15+ hours but I have yet to come across a post covering how long one can run an absolute steel on low. I see the firebox sizes are .75 cubic feet different but I'm also aware the ideal's firebox is not completely usable. so, finally, is there any reason one should be buying an absolute steel over an ideal steel, notwithstanding appearances.

Being an Ideal Steel owner, you are correct about the firebox not being 100% usable. That is because of the way they designed their secondary burn chamber and having come off my first season with the IS yes it was certainly something to get used to but I found that loading logs E/W gave me a more full firebox then loading N/S. I chose the IS because I liked the custom artwork and color options and it was a stove that would heat my whole house (needed something larger than 2,000 sq ft). Plus the ability for N/S and E/W loading and allows for generous log sizes of nearly 2 ft!

Both the IS and the Absolute Steel have great burn times that are nearly identical. The only difference is the slightly smaller firebox of the AS means you can't heat an area quite as large as the IS can. I'd say if you don't need the extra heating power of the IS then go for the AS. Unless you really like the artwork options and color options the IS offers. Both the IS and AS are hybrid stoves (catalyst and burn tubes) so you're getting the best of both worlds in regards to clean burning and both systems work hand in hand, you don't have to activate one system over the other and vice versa.

Reactions: snaple4
Was going to say what woodburner said, it depends on how much area you're heating, you'd probably get a little longer burn with the IS but if you're demanding more heat it probably evens out, then again you could burn the IS lower and longer. I like the IS better as I like the design better.

I called them the other week and asked about an IS for my house. I 2100sqft, 8’ ceilings, all concrete construction. Stove is in a larger LR open to dining and kitchen. The lady I talked to said an IS would work but may over heat the space. She said I may prefer an AS. I would still prefer the IS for the size and looks. Let us know how the stove looks and works for you.

I called them the other week and asked about an IS for my house. I 2100sqft, 8’ ceilings, all concrete construction. Stove is in a larger LR open to dining and kitchen. The lady I talked to said an IS would work but may over heat the space. She said I may prefer an AS. I would still prefer the IS for the size and looks. Let us know how the stove looks and works for you.

I absolutely wouldn't be concerned to go with the IS if that is what you are set on. You have probably seen all the color combos and artwork they offer for the stove, the IS stoves really are unique stoves! Bigger firebox yes it could overheat things but you'll be happy for the extra heat when winter decides it really wants to show up!! Plus you can always build a small fire in the bigger firebox if you don't need as much heat depending on the weather. The Woodstock hybrid stoves are truly great heaters for a good price, and they have great support!

In Arkansas, I would go by Woodstock's guidance for the AS. There is a big difference between winter there and up next to Canada.

Reactions: fire_man and Tar12
In Arkansas, I would go by Woodstock's guidance for the AS. There is a big difference between winter there and up next to Canada.

I completely agree here. Our winter in central pennsylvania isn't epicly cold or anything but it still floats between 0 and 40 for 3 months of the year and gets well below freezing at night for 6 months of the year. Coincidentally, my house is also stone (cinder block wrapped in xps board, coated in vinyl siding) and I feel like it generally takes more btu's to keep it warm than, say, a wood frame house. And that's no matter how well the masonry and the basement are encapsulated. It's a giant heat sink that seems to always manage to loose a bit more than it holds so sizing up on your heater is smart.

If I were you i'd check out blaze king stuff. similar price range. The ashford isn't bad looking. But that's not why you should check it out. You should check it out because your btu requirements are not that high so you can really take advantage of running those blaze king models on super low for like 24+ hours. That is pretty dope. I would be doing that but a) I'm not confident that i'd get long enough run times to talk about without buying the BK 40. b) The BK 40 is significantly more expensive than an ideal steel and c) my wife thinks the BK 40 is too ugly to live inside the house.
But......the ashford 30 looks really nice, is relatively cheap, and can probably get insanely long run times in arkansas.

Last edited:
For the record: I picked an ideal steel that's all charcoal with copper colored artwork. Got "the works" but, outside of the ash pan, I kinda feel like I spent an extra $635 for no reason but aesthetics. The $300 off sale plus free shipping is really what got me.

I agree with all that was stated except for "relatively cheap". The Ashford is a premium cost stove. A lower-cost BK option would be the Sirocco 30.2.

I dunno, I got a quote for $2500 last fall for the ashford. That seems like pretty average for a non big box stove.

I dunno, I got a quote for $2500 last fall for the ashford. That seems like pretty average for a non big box stove.
That is an exceptionally good price, floor model? They are typically in the $3k range and more if enameled.

Last edited:
It was a floor model, painted black. I don't think blaze kings are very popular around here so maybe he was trying to get rid of it.

I am enjoying this thread discussion found during search on Absolute Steel. So Lumber City your thread was timely.

I had similar conversations with Woodstock, super nice folks by the way. Two different folks there said similar. We are looking for a basement stove. The basement is 1800 squ ft with 900 finished and the remainder is insulated space; workshop, storage and mechanicals. The basement has a sperate HVAC that will condition the entire space. Three sides are 10" concrete with 2" of foam, 2" foam under floor and walk out side is 2"x6" with 2" foam and 4" bat. The 1800' upstairs will have a separate stove maybe the Progress Hybrid.

I called them a couple of times with questions I had on the Ideal Steel. Yes, I am hard headed and persistent or maybe I just really liked the look of the IS. Different folks each time suggested the Fireview or Keystone and one or both suggested the Absolute Steel. We are leaning toward the AS since the basement space may not be fired as consistently as the PH upstairs. Probably use it when guests are coming using basement bedrooms or planning shop work. We also did not want a second soapstone and the associated price. Being in Va. mountains we probably don't need another large stove in this basement area. But...… sure do like the looks of the IS.:)

If price is an issue I would get a basic non-cat. Based on the usage and space description it won't take that much to heat the area.

It was a floor model, painted black. I don't think blaze kings are very popular around here so maybe he was trying to get rid of it.
PA is a very strong market for our line...i spend a couple of weeks each year in that great state...He may have had a Step1 unit and looking to reduce Step 1 inventory. Many dealers planned in advance.

That was an awesome price for an ashford. I paid much more for a princess 8 years ago.