In need of help finding the right fireplace/wood stove solution: lots of criteria to be met

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BobbyF

Sep 23, 2023
Pennsylvania
Update: With my wealth of knowledge, I've just realized that a standalone fireplace screen may be the best option, but would still like to see any suggestions.

Hello, I hope I'm posting this in the correct place. Thank you in advance for any input.

I've been searching relentlessly for the perfect fireplace or wood stove for my soon to be built home, and I've had many close choices but none that are ideal. Will try to list here the current criteria I'm hoping to work with, but will likely forget a few details. This going to be the first installation of this type in this home and in addition, a wood stove (or maybe even a fireplace) will POTENTIALLY be a future addition to the basement (long ways away). This is going to be located in a corner of a rather small sunken living room, which focuses on said corner. This will be the major focal point of the entire house (may not even put a tv in living room). Without a lot of space in living room, I'm already close to eliminating some options, and zero clearance is preferred. This is going to be on a budget, but haven't determined said budget yet (will consider all suggestions). What I'm looking for may not even exist.

I originally was set on a Malm Zircon 34" Free Standing Fireplace in WHITE (this house needs a certain character which that does well). However, that Zircon may take up too much room, but primarily, I realized that I want to be able to both operate this as an open fireplace, to safely enjoy the crackles and pops (I know a lot of people disregard this) as well as operate closed, to leave unattended (I know for a fact I'll want to be able to doze off in front of this fireplace/woodstove). These 2 features are probably the ones currently eliminating most options.

For those purposes, I know there are wood stoves with screen options out there, just having trouble locating them in general (though have seen some). Will entertain options in this category, but also want to find fireplace options that perform this same way. Have been recently also considering inserts and found some, but a very low clearance free standing option would probably be most desirable. Have been considering the Stuv 30 for quite some time. Still need to check the size and clearances, but it doesn't heat a sufficient sq ftg of this house to really consider as a wood stove, while looking good, doesn't provide a large fire either. Heating the upstairs is not actually a specific goal of this unit I'm looking for, but would want that option if buying a wood stove (1428 sq ft first floor/about same in basement).

I even considered a Swedish/Scandinavian corner tiled stove, but probably too heavy for above basement, and their fireboxes don't typically seem that visually impressive.

Additionally, I'm finding that I also prefer some units that allow for wood storage beneath them (since the clearances in the space are so tight).

I also really like some of the corner models on this page, but waiting to hear back if any have an added screen or added doors option.
Anyways, I know this is a lot, and I'm definitely forgetting some details. For now, just looking for low clearance, hopefully visually impressive (both in unit appearance a view of fire- eye level when sitting taken into account), able to be ran both as an open fire and a closed fire (safe to leave unattended), wood storage is a plus, and white, freestanding or just more unique than an insert is also a plus. We are hoping to have to use minimal non-combustible materials. Thanks again!

Last edited:
If I were to build a new home I’d seriously consider a Tempcast Masonry Heater and build the home around it.

If I were to build a new home I’d seriously consider a Tempcast Masonry Heater and build the home around it.
Yes this is the ultimate option as a masonry heater will do 90% of your heating if you have supply of wood. Finding a mason with experience can be a challenge in some area but these truly are not only functional but beautiful as you can choose your finish, eg stone, brick, tile, etc. They come at a price though
If you want a look like you describe, there are some very cool Swedish woodstoves out there as well.

Corner masonry heaters.
IMG_4316.jpeg IMG_4317.jpeg IMG_4318.jpeg

Wow, those are really cool. It just so happens that I fully intend to have a pizza oven in the future (though not sure if I'd do this in the living room), but not sure if that quite gets to the temps I would need, maybe? Unfortunately, I don't think that this will be an option as masonry is likely out of the budget, but will definitely take it into greater consideration.

I wonder if this is something I could consider for the basement in the future? I could definitely see needing to incorporate it into the initial design of the house.

It looks like a lot is included at a fair purchase price, budget wise my concern would be more for required non-combustibles surrounding it.

Last edited:
It just so happens that one of our close contacts is a great mason, but unfortunately masonry is probably out of the budget for this. Will definitely consider though, and could be a great addition to the basement later on. With this my only real concern is that I would primarily want it for the pizza oven, which may not get hot enough. lol, but looks like a very efficient way of heating. I anticipate having a decent quantity of wood after necessary clearings on the lot, but won't have a steady source afterwards. So not relying on wood heat yet.

Yes this is the ultimate option as a masonry heater will do 90% of your heating if you have supply of wood. Finding a mason with experience can be a challenge in some area but these truly are not only functional but beautiful as you can choose your finish, eg stone, brick, tile, etc. They come at a price though
If you want a look like you describe, there are some very cool Swedish woodstoves out there as well.

Corner masonry heaters.
View attachment 315687 View attachment 315688 View attachment 315689

We had a masonry heater….I miss her so. We actively used the oven above and it plenty hot to cook pizza, casseroles, pies, etc. No problem at all and it was in our living room but it was an open concept house and the kitchen island was like 6ft away. Can’t say enough about these to be honest as one fire in the morning kept a 1600sq ft house warm all day on most days in the winter. When it was really cold, a second fire at night and we barely used any propane in that house which fueled the central air. Now that house was built with SIP’s, triple pane fiberglass windows and r60 cellulose blown into the attic/ceiling. It was a single story craftsman style ranch and was thought to be somewhere we would live long term but that changed a long time ago. This was in zone 4a if I recall correctly.

We had a masonry heater….I miss her so. We actively used the oven above and it plenty hot to cook pizza, casseroles, pies, etc. No problem at all and it was in our living room but it was an open concept house and the kitchen island was like 6ft away. Can’t say enough about these to be honest as one fire in the morning kept a 1600sq ft house warm all day on most days in the winter. When it was really cold, a second fire at night and we barely used any propane in that house which fueled the central air. Now that house was built with SIP’s, triple pane fiberglass windows and r60 cellulose blown into the attic/ceiling. It was a single story craftsman style ranch and was thought to be somewhere we would live long term but that changed a long time ago. This was in zone 4a if I recall correctly.
Very cool. I have no doubt that it can cook a good, specific style of pizza, but for me (at least until I can add something like this to the basement for heating purposes), the pizza oven feature would be, though silly, the primary draw for me to this at this point. I haven't yet made homemade pizza, but have family and friends that do. I think this would be unwise for me to purchase primarily as a pizza oven, being that the oven ceiling to floor temp ratio theory and the lack of potential upper range pizza cooking temperatures doesn't make it quite as flexible as a standard pizza oven. Though, I still really like this and would definitely use it for certain types of pizza and other cooking/baking.

If I were to build a new home it would be so tight and well insulated that wood heat would be for emergencies and near record cold snaps. (Solar panels of course and a battery so it would be a heatpump.) It would probably be a Pacific Energy (PE) The exact model would be chose to fit the style of the house. Never would I go to the expense to put an a masonry open fireplace in that will suck out as much heat as it creates. The zero clearance units like the PE FP30 would be an acceptable. But I would prefer a stove. Installed where a could run an out side air kit.

I too want a pizza oven. But I have settled for a Kamado grill with pizza attachment. We have a whole thread on pizza going for several pages.

Drolet/Osburn offers a screen option on some of their stoves.

I too want a pizza oven. But I have settled for a Kamado grill with pizza attachment. We have a whole thread on pizza going for several pages.
When my BIL built their place in the early '80s they made it super-insulated and put in a custom pizza oven right off of the kitchen. This is what has heated the NYS house except in extreme cold weather for the past 40 yrs. It also has a wood/oil boiler for extremely cold weather.

If I were to build a new home it would be so tight and well insulated that wood heat would be for emergencies and near record cold snaps. (Solar panels of course and a battery so it would be a heatpump.) It would probably be a Pacific Energy (PE) The exact model would be chose to fit the style of the house. Never would I go to the expense to put an a masonry open fireplace in that will suck out as much heat as it creates. The zero clearance units like the PE FP30 would be an acceptable. But I would prefer a stove. Installed where a could run an out side air kit.

The PE Neo wood stoves have actually been a model I've considered. Can't remember atm why I'm not set on it. Perhaps style, whether or not it has a screen option, or clearance/size issues. Still up for consideration.

Drolet/Osburn offers a screen option on some of their stoves.
Thanks, I have checked both of these out in the past, and have been considering the Drolet Deco II and Osburn Matrix I think? (Osburn may have had clearance issues and I think Deco II can be fairly low clearance but still takes up a lot of space where I need to put it) Will have to check out other models.

Another thing I'd like to ask- Is there any way to make, say, a Malm Zircon safe for leaving unattended? I doubt it, but may be missing something. Would want to be able to use it "open" with a screen and then easily convert to "closed" for when I go to sleep. Even if there is a way, I suspect the fact that it's not designed to operate as a closed fireplace would cause issues.

I put a Malm Zircon into my old house years ago. It was so great. It gave off plenty of heat (Way more than expected) and was a total pleasure. I'm a real sucker for the look and ease of use of these. With the screen on, and an adequate hearth in front of/around, it never felt unsafe.